Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    I need a sundome now!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need a sundome now!
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
You are correct, sir!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Phil, it was The Machineries that I read that, and it is a very wonderful story.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rocket: Per - "How often in your everyday world, whatever is going on, do you correlate a Bradbury story to what is happening?" Great question for RB fans!

So many! Here just a few.

I was painting last summer and heard my two young boys padding up the driveway. I was around the corner of the house out of their sight and said, without hesitation, that's "the sound of summer running!"

When we go for an evening stroll around our neighborhood, an especially quiet section of town, it is often kidded that we are out "Walking. Just walking!"

I grew up in a "Green" Town, though mine was named "Water." Our family business was in the middle of the "Square" where all of the artisans, butchers, newstands, cafes, and shoestores were located. Everyone exchanged and supported one another's enterprises. Today, we always "sponge around and bounce a bit" in our new shoes before we buy them. Thanks, Mr. Sanderson!

Since I also teach a couple of evenings during the week, no matter how quietly my entrance, and even though lights in bedrooms "should be" out, I am oft met with "That's dad!" A line that echoes from the Spaulding household.

"Leave Taking" I wrote to Mr. Bradbury several years ago thanking him for this passage. (What a gracious piece of writing this is.)

A traditonal Hallo-ween Tree and a favorite of the neighbors.

So, like many others here daily, the metaphors permeate my life...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fjp451,

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:

I was painting last summer and heard my two young boys padding up the driveway.

Padding is a good word - sorry, wrong thread.

quote:
When we go for an evening stroll around our neighborhood, an especially quiet section of town, it is often kidded that we are out "Walking. Just walking!"

Putting one foot in front of the other?

Also known as "padding".

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Permeate is even better.

Thank you Fjp for your answers to the question, I agree fully! Good one on the sneakers too!

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
Rocket: Per - "How often in your everyday world, whatever is going on, do you correlate a Bradbury story to what is happening?" Great question for RB fans!

Yes, and in my case the answer is "too often to mention," but if I think of good examples will post them.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandelion, I know what you mean. I am pausing to reflect and share something of substance like Fjp...

posted Hide Post
I would love to have my own private astronomical observatory out in the middle of nowhere replete with bedrooms, kitchen, big entertainment area, hot tubs, and of course the top would automatically roll back to observe the stars from an upstairs platform. The stairs would be the winding kind too. It would in effect be a sundome. If I ever win the lotto...

One of my alltime favorite Bradbury stories is Kaleidoscope. This story to me is about the sheer brevity of life and treasuring, celebrating, wondering, and relishing every second that you are alive. I can't remember the exact phrase but it was something like when a life is over, its like the film in a projector going fast and then burning up to ash in the end. In other words, poof, gone like smoke. About five years ago they were predicting that the annual meteor shower, The Leonids, was going to hit a peak that only happens every thirty years. My wife and I decided to go up to Indiana at our local astronomy club's site. It is remote and took about an hour to get there. We arrived at sunset that late November evening. This site is also much higher in altitude from the surrounding area. We brought blankets and chairs and were ready for the show. There was many other people there as well. What we saw was a once in a lifetime event. At one point we were seeing about four hundred meteors an hour. Some of the meteors were super bright and broke up in midflight with spectacular colors, reds, greens, and bluish ones, these kind are called bolides. I was reminded of Ray's wonderful story Kaleidoscope that night. We were still there as dawns light was breaking and still the meteors swarmed! After full sunrise, we got in the car and started for home. It quickly became apparent that a dense fog had set in during the night, yet we were above it the whole time. We had to go twenty five miles an hour most of the way home. Had we stayed home, we wouldn't have seen anything in the sky due to the lower river valley where we live. That night was nothing short of astounding and will long live in my memory as one of my best.

posted Hide Post
Rocky, well-recalled and well-told!
Wish I coulda seen it.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder if RB invented the sundome? I've read other SF novels with similar structures called "redoubts", well they were EXACTLY like sundomes just with different names.

I think of RB every single day at least once.

================================================

"I don't know anything."

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, B-Two.

I'm not sure, grasstains, may be worth looking into. I like saying "sundome".

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grasstains:
I think of RB every single day at least once.

Me too - we have good thoughts, eh?

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Totally off-topic, and I aplogize, but when you said "I need a sundome now!" it made me remember something: When I was very little, my dad had plans to construct a geodesic dome for our family to live in. he tossed aside those plans, when he began to draw up plans for a pyramid. I'm not making this up.

neither were constructed.

...yeah anyway, sorry you go off topic, rocket...do continue *ducks out quietly*

If there is a God, I know he likes to rock.

Posts: 274 | Location: Marooned | Registered: 15 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WG, I bet your dad was a Bucky Fuller fan...

posted Hide Post
Possibly. My dad has the makings of a cult leader, its really a riot.

If there is a God, I know he likes to rock.

Posts: 274 | Location: Marooned | Registered: 15 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post