Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    I need a sundome now!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need a sundome now!
 Login/Join

posted
It's colder than a welldigger's dog here. I could really visualize (I mean full blown sensory experience, like when your reading one of Ray's stories) today how warm, dry, and inviting it would be to enter the sundome now. If I had a sundome that is...
Question: How often in your everyday world, whatever is going on, do you correlate a Bradbury story to what is happening?

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
rocket:
Gov. Arnold S....... of California has declared Southern Cal a disaster area because of the unusually cold weather. So to let you know just how bad it is out here, here's a photo of myself and the proverbial well-digger's dog (my friend Peter)...taken earlier today, January 16, '07. BrrRRrrr!

As to a Bradbury story relating to everyday life...I'd have to say it's centered around my daughter selling her home and farmette outside of Chicago. She has about 8 acres of wheat and hay on it, and the moment I think of owning a piece of property like that, I feel I would have acaquired the farm in the story, The Scythe.

ImageJan_16_07_Nard.JPG (220 Kb, 18 downloads)

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
I'd have to say it's centered around my daughter selling her home and farmette outside of Chicago.

Farmette is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard, that was particularly churlish of you! You should at least have a sweater on that poor dog! I must say that stung far worse than I could have imagined.Frowner Actually, it looks as if you are inside the sundome! Nice picture though, I must admit. You look happy. The move was obviously the right decision. I must get out there someday, hopefully before the kids leave the nest. Would love to take them to Disneyland.

Speaking of that story. Is there another story he wrote about an old sea captain who lives in the middle of the prairie and the grass ends up looking just like the waves, and then he dies or something? I remember in the Scythe, like every blade of grass is someone dying. Can't remember if it is two seperate stories...

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You guys call that cold. Ha. Freezing in Washington State!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I see your point but when you have a 40 degree drop in temperature in a 24 hour period, it smarts a tad bit.Frowner

posted Hide Post
rocket:
That story is one of my real favorites:
"And the Sailor Home from the Sea"

It was about 64 degrees today in Los Angeles.
But it was something like in the 30's and 20's for a low. (dandelion: that's about the same low temp in parts of the state of Washington)...and disaster for the California orchards.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hear crickets in the sundome. Where's everybody hiding?

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, here it's about 20 in the day and 10 at night--below average even for us!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
...So to let you know just how bad it is out here, here's a photo of myself and the proverbial well-digger's dog (my friend Peter)...taken earlier today, January 16, '07. BrrRRrrr!

I say we all club together and buy Nard a nice thick coat, a hat and a scarf.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Further to the above:

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

ImageJan_16_07_Nard.JPG (233 Kb, 8 downloads) Nard's winter wardrobe

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now that's a coat, you won't need that in here. Thanks for that Nard. What book is that story in?

posted Hide Post
"And the Sailor..." is in Bradbury Stories and The Machineries of Joy.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Phil! Great photo! But FJP already posted a photo of Cousin Itt on another thread.

By the way, in the Santa Cruz mountain valleys in the winter, if it's not raining, it's in the 20s (F). Last few nights it's been around 15-18.
Brisk, but not like the Midwest!

Trivia question: at what point do the C and F scales agree?

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is it minus 40? (Now THAT's cold...)

- Phil