Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    HELP Faringht 451
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HELP Faringht 451
 Login/Join

posted
Ok so i have heard there is a movie based on Mr Bradburys Faringht 451. But the Director of the movie will not admitt its based on the book. I dont know any specific abouut the movie, except the dogs dont have needles HELP!

Posts: 8 | Location: Australia | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not quite sure what film or director you are talking about. There was a very fine film version of FAHRENHEIT 451 released in 1967. It starred Oskar Werner and Julie Christie, and was directed by the late Francois Truffaut. Mr Truffaut never failed to acknowledge that his film was based on Ray's book.

Posts: 369 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In Australia do they spell "Fahrenheit" differently than we do in the US?

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you Richard but its not the film iam looking for.
Mr Dark i know i cant spell iam from the computer gen and we rely on MS spell check when we could be bothered ohhh to be able to spell like my grandpa thanks any way old man

Posts: 8 | Location: Australia | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Spelling correctly has not gone out of style, nor is it something only for "old men." I teach 12 and 13 year olds, and the majority of them are careful with their spelling and double check it often in that ancient invention called a dictionary. And yes, they are all part of the computer generation also.

Posts: 581 | Location: Naperville, IL 60564 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
THANKYOU all i have found the movie title and won myself a digital camera. Spelling who cares anyway. In Australia they are starting to teach young children to spell freneticaly. Do you think my spelling will stop me from publishing a book, I think not. x China, Thats Cheena "Ch" as in chicken to all you new gens. Thanks agin.

posted Hide Post
Ijustknewthatsomedayeverybodywillst
artwritinginawaythatwillmakeitverydiffi
culttoreadlikethedaysintheoldtestame
ntwhenthebiblewaswrittenasoneconti
nuouswordpageafterpagenowimagin
ethiswhenthepersonwritingitcannotev
enspellcorrectlyhorrors!!

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 11-21-2003).]

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Teaching them to spell freneticaly (sic)??

Posts: 581 | Location: Naperville, IL 60564 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1) My daughter is from the computer generation (15 yrs old) and she can out-spell me! Being young is no excuse for academic sloth.

2) Do I think your lack of spelling will keep you from publishing a book? Well, if you have the money, it will not keep you from self-publishing. If you think you're going to convince a legitimate publishing house to consider your manuscript, I am quite doubtful an editor would give it more than about 30 seconds of consideration if the spelling in your manuscript reflects what is written here.

3) "Who cares about spelling anyway?" I would suggest that most literate, educated people care about spelling.

Just my opinion.

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interlectual snobs i could out write all of you. Of course id pay someone to proof read my scripts, i have it all brains beauty talent and money! i just think too fast to spell correctly. Mr. Dark your evil, but i like that

posted Hide Post
Years ago I used to type 100 + plus a minute, and that was on an old IBM office writer. Now, we have new fangle keyboards, and even voice type. So if CHINA says the reason for the typos is the super speed of the typing, I shall now demonstrate a test if this is true. So I will try to type as fast as possible, and see what happens.

Get ready\get set
G O.. . . . .

Tebh otyber day about two oclock or tmnayeb it was thtee an elephgant with shining tusks camer sching afte me... his trunk was weaving in the air b ut still I wasn;t afriad I just ran from where I was and jumpedf in bed with dad.

20 seconds....
Hmm!!? It's an old poem from elementary school, from memory.\
Hmm... quite unreadable...
Okay, CHINA, you win. You ARE typing too fast...

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Interlectual snobs i could out write all of you. Of course id pay someone to proof read my scripts, i have it all brains beauty talent and money! i just think too fast to spell correctly. Mr. Dark your evil, but i like that"

China: You know, you're kind of cute!

What do you mean by interlectual snobs? There are many ways of being a snob. One is this intellectual arrogance you seem to reference here. Another is this youthful arrogance that seems to think they are above the rules of society and language. What makes you think that you can be a good writer when you're thinking too fast to spell? When I was younger (long ago), I did the Evelyn Wood speed reading stuff. I thought that was pretty cool. But as I got older and had more life experience and began to understand the value of reflection, I learned that speed is not the important thing in reading -- reflection and analysis is. If I read a 350 page book in an hour and don't analyze any of the ideas in it, what have I really learned? Not much. The same in writing. Writing without thinking is simply gibberish.

It reminds me a bit of some of the writers and artists of the 60's. When they were loaded/high, they thought they were producing great, ground-breaking works (they thought they could out-do anyone!). But, when they were sober, and when sober persons looked at what they created, it was all crap -- with the occasional unique perspective.

Thoreau said the books must be read as carefully as they were written. That assumes, of course, that the book was written in a way that warranted a reader's reflections and attention.

This is not to say that one shouldn't/can't write with passion. Some writers write very methodically; others do a first draft in an almost emotional outburst and then go back and revise. So some of this is just personal preference. But, at some point, SOMEONE has to make the writing decent and worthwhile.

Both Dandelion and Greg Miller are published writers. I have not published any books, but have published Op/Eds, articles, theses, comic books, and have lectured at universities. Sam Weller is a professional writer who is currently working on the authorized biography of Ray Bradbury. What have you published? Talk is cheap. When you can come back with publications like Greg, Dandelion and Sam, then talk about outwriting people. Until then, talk is cheap.

Ah, the sweet arrogance of youth!

[This message has been edited by Mr. Dark (edited 11-22-2003).]

posted Hide Post
"Who cares about spelling anyway?"
Gee, apparently everyone here, huh?

I still can't get over "spelling frenetically" !!!

It's just so funny, trying to spell phonetically in a rush, reveals the true method of spelling. FRENETICALLY!!!

What a crazy thread.

Posts: 411 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The first comment that started this thread seems a bit disjointed, as noted by Richard. Then things seem to have gone quickly to just good old-fashioned confusing.

"Fahinght 451" - the movie - had those great scenes when a piece of reading material was being depicted in the train or while Montag was a home after work. The "reading," more accurately "looking at pictures," were actually just cartoon-like illustrations with no words spelled out even as a brief caption. Remember?

So, I guess China is right on this one. Spelling doesn't count, or at least it won't in the very near future if all goes according to plan.

Ah, "I hate the Roman named Status Quo!"
Are we all just "screaming in the wilderness?"

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As the intellectual snobbery goes, I haven't seen any of it on these boards. I do get irritated with most types of nitpickery but I haven't seen any here-here's or any wine spat my short time here. Nor have I saw anyone declare, "It is spelled FAHRENHEIT you poor stupid knave!"

China could very well be a good writer. God knows I try to be. Confidence is a very nice thing even though it may be in this particular case unfounded or induced by dope. When I began writing I had no formula. The ideas came from something peculiar I had seen that day or rather recent and they would be fitted to the story. Now I think it over first, jot a note from time to time and then write it by sections. I must admit the first method is more fun initially but the result is often jibberish. I have gone back over some of the stuff I'd written a year or so ago and there are points in the story that I have no idea what in the hell I was trying to impart to the reader. And like Mr. Dark said about the artists of the 60's, I, minus the dope, thought I was producing champion material.

Posts: 135 | Registered: 22 July 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post