Ray Bradbury Forums
Happy Birthday, Ray!

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1001093901/m/256100871

20 August 2009, 01:07 PM
Richard
Happy Birthday, Ray!
Given that Ray Bradbury's birthday is this Saturday, August 22, I thought I would revive a long-standing tradition of starting a topic where visitors to this site can post their birthday greetings. I'll start it off:

Dear Ray, you have been my favorite writer for over 45 years, ever since I read my first Ray Bradbury book, THE GOLDEN APPLES OF THE SUN. As you approach your 89th birthday, you put folks half your age to shame with your continued, superb writing output, and your passion and love for your craft (and life itself). Long may you continue to do so! Hope to see you soon.

With much affection,

Richard
20 August 2009, 02:04 PM
jkt
I'm lucky enough to be spending the day and into the evening with Ray but for those of you who are not so lucky I will print out all well-wishes around, 10:00 a.m., on the 22nd and take them to Ray.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley
21 August 2009, 01:01 AM
philnic

Happy Birthday, Ray.

Onward!

And:

Live forever!

With best wishes from Phil Nichols, in the UK.

(I based this on this 1980s British cover for F451.)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter
21 August 2009, 10:27 AM
monster mama
Happy Birthday Papa!!

Sorry that the babies and I couldn't make it to L.A. to celebrate with you. Terry is bringing lots of hugs, kisses and warm love to you. Hope you have a wonderful birthday and thank you for your inspiration and influence in my life (including names for BOTH of the babies). May you keep celebrating life and love daily and may you "Live Forever"!!!!

Anita, Forrest & Alexandra

P.S. Keep Terry out of trouble for me! Smiler
21 August 2009, 11:13 AM
jkt
quote:
P.S. Keep Terry out of trouble for me! Smiler

Anita,
Trust in the knowledge that I'll put Terry to work at both parties and the lunch.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley
21 August 2009, 11:18 AM
Nico
Happy Birthday, Ray!

Your writing will always a part of my childhood mythos and the man I have become; you are the true American writer.

Keep up the good work Living Forever!

Nico Martin

Email: ordinis@gmail.com
21 August 2009, 04:57 PM
Linnl
Happy Birthday Ray Bradbury!

Dear Mr. Bradbury,

The Mythologist Joseph Campbell said, "A vital life, vitalizes." There is also the notion of a fountainhead.

I think in addition to being known as a Magician you should be known as a FountainHEART. Your love and passion for imagination and life vitalizes people --and they bloom with you.

Continued Joy and Health to You and Yours!

Thank You Much,
Robert
22 August 2009, 02:20 AM
biplane1
Ray,

I was thinking just yesterday that it was hard to believe that I first met you 42 years ago when you were just a young fellow. You and Marguerite were so kind to me as you have been over the many years. Sorry that I couldn't be there. I have asked several friends to say hello to you for me. Have a great and wondrous day amongst your fans and friends Ray.

Michael From Florida
22 August 2009, 04:32 AM
tinkerbell
Mr Bradbury,

An inspiration to the Universe. May you remain a 'boy' forever!

Many Happy Returns,

Tink x
22 August 2009, 08:24 AM
patrask
Happy Birthday to you Ray, this the 89th such. I usually try and compose a poem for this occasion, but my muse is on vacation this year. It has all been said before. I met you when I was in high school in 1958-9 at the West LA Unitarian Church where you were giving a talk. I also was one of the youth speakers at that gathering. I just remember people asking "Where do you get your ideas?" I now know the answer, let your imagination ask the question - What If. Write what comes into your head. Thanks for so many great years of reading and rereading your stories. Just finished Fahrenheit 451 again. I wish I could have been in the UCLA library in that year you typed the manuscript. I got there later and went on to become a degreed person many times over. I am still working on my education however, and you have been a big part of that.

Happy Birthday Ray.

Phil Trask - Laguna Hills, CA
22 August 2009, 08:28 AM
LadyStrange
Mr. Bradbury,
I wanted to wish you a happy birthday since I could not be there for it. I should next year, since you told us at Comic-Con you'd make it to 100! I will get my final copy of Farenehit 451 signed for my daughter.
There are very few I consider to be a hero. There is my grandmother who once told me looks get one only so far, but one should concentrate on working and developing other talents that would get you further in life. My mother who always supported me in the decisions I made: writing and joining the U.S. Navy. She also opened the door to reading and writing for me. My three children, even though they are young, have taught me more about myself than anything or anyone else ever could have. Some of the music I listen to: showing me it is better to think for yourself and question everything around you. Then, there is you, along with a couple of authors that would keep the door opened a world that I still treasure to this day: reading and writing. No words I can put into this can ever truly convey how much you have meant to me and inspired in me.
On this day, I shall send you a big hug, even though I cannot be there!
Bonne fĂȘte!
Dezra Ann Rogers

I *AM* big... it's the pictures that got small! - Norma Desmond
22 August 2009, 08:43 AM
PatR
Dear Ray,

Happy Birthday!!!

Thank you for making a difference in my life. For showing me to be passionate about life and to love what I do. For always answering my letters. For always remembering my face. For always making me feel loved back. How lucky I am to have found your books at an early age. And, How blessed I have been to get to know the man behind the books, who is even lovelier than his words.

Hope you have a wonderful Birthday and many many more.

Much Love Always,
Patricia Rogers
22 August 2009, 09:55 AM
Kurt B.
Happy Birthday to you, Ray!
My wife,Tammy and I are great fans.
You kissed her hand at the '03 Comic-Con, and became the grandfather she never had.
We both await at your knee for more stories.

All the best-
Kurt Biederman and Tammy Klein
22 August 2009, 11:53 AM
douglasSP
Happy Birthday, Ray!

I believe this marks more or less the 40th anniversary since I first read your work (my own 55th birthday was 2 days ago).

It used to be my dream to meet you, but life and distance tend to get in the way. But I now realise there's plenty of time, since you will, without doubt,

live - and write - forever!
22 August 2009, 01:55 PM
Braling II
Dear Ray, congratulations on the successful completion of yet another solar orbit!!!

Hmmm, I wonder if I should be so bold as to ask Mr. B. if he remembers giving a talk one October in the '70s at San Jose City College; and if he recalls autographing a book or two for an obviously intelligent and strikingly handsome young man... (you see, I was in line right behind that guy!)...