Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Free Serials!
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Free Serials!
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
It depends which season you've seen. In my opinion, the first couple of seasons were weak. Somewhere around the third year the writers began reading science fiction and started coming up with some really smart concepts. Plus they introduced Kryten, who really tightened up the relationships between the characters.

Then, towards the end, the quality declined drastically. The last series was hopeless. In my opinion.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As I've mentioned before, I haven't seen much regularly programmed TV for over 25 years; just the odd show here and there. So when I do see something (e.g. seeing an episode of a sitcom on a plane trip), I can only compare the quality with that with which I'm familiar, i.e. older shows. These ('50s and '60s shows) were written, directed, acted, etc. by folks who came up through radio, theatre, and movies - arts that were much more demanding and required more talent and discipline from directors, writers and artists than is required from the TV-generation.
But I'm sure you're correct regarding the quality of any series fluctuating over its run.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know of Red Dwarf, though I've never had the pleasure of seeing any. Sadly, Brit sci-fi, as much as there is, rarely makes it to the States in any major way. You really have to put an effort into finding it, even a small effort. Perhaps it bespeaks my typically American way or maybe even a laziness that I've had relatively little exposure to Brit sci-fi (though I would assume more than some). I'd like to think it's because I've been reading other things (and have!). Anyways, I don't think the Brits get enough credit for their hand in science fiction. Kudos to them.

And, as for the OTR called The Creaking Door, I found 5 episodes and placed one on my serial blog. Enjoy!

Free sci-fi mag online at:thelordshen.com

Posts: 178 | Location: Currently Flint, MI | Registered: 28 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Britons are responsible for one of the finest Sci-Fi programmes ever (really more like Spy-Fi), The Prisoner .

I just got the compleat series on DVD for my birthday - wonderful!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
The Britons are responsible for one of the finest Sci-Fi programmes ever (really more like Spy-Fi), The Prisoner .

I just got the compleat series on DVD for my birthday - wonderful!

I've seen a few of those! Though not in a long time.

Free sci-fi mag online at:thelordshen.com

Posts: 178 | Location: Currently Flint, MI | Registered: 28 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LordShen:
Anyways, I don't think the Brits get enough credit for their hand in science fiction. Kudos to them.

Yes, for...like...well, inventing it! Mary Shelley, H.G.Wells. And Jules Verne lived just across the English Channel...

I agree about The Prisoner (although it, too, had some quality loss, or lack of momentum somewhere in the middle). I think everyone who produces a SF soap opera (Lost, Heroes, Meadowlands/Cape Wrath) should be legally required to watch The Prisoner and learn from it. It had a central mystery which was elaborated with each episode, but a self-contained, satisfying story arc within each episode. Shows like Lost and Heroes irritate me because I just KNOW that when they eventually get around to finishing the series they will throw together some "solution" to the mysteries which will not repay the viewer's dedicated patience!

In the UK at the moment, TV is under the influence of two series which were surprising successes: the revived Dr Who, and Life On Mars (don't know whether the latter has made it across the pond, or whether it would make much sense over there; it is, in part, a homage to British cop shows from the 1970s). TV being built on bandwagons, we can expect lots more TV SF and fantasy over the next couple of years as every producer vies for the next Dr Who or the next Life On Mars.

Don't forget to try www.tv-links.co.uk, everyone: you can see lots of the classic British shows on there. Unfortunately, the site is of dubious legality from a copyright point of view, and I half expect it to be shut down any day now!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Be seeing you.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
(whispers) "I am not a number, I am a free man!"

Posts: 195 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Six of one..."

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
(Might as well join in. Clears throat...)

Who is Number One?
I am Number Two. You are Number Six.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
There was, some time ago, some discussion here of this great show. I believe we mentioned the two episodes featuring the late great Leo McKern too...
In 1980, I visited Portmeirion and sent a postcard to a Prisoner aficianado in the States. The card showed an aerial shot of "The Village", and all I wrote on the back was, (you guessed it!), "Be Seeing You"!

posted Hide Post
I went to Portmeirion around 1990. The village was a lot smaller than it looks on TV. (Also, at that time, in need of a lick of paint and a bit of weed control.)

Yes, Leo McKern, before he came under the influence of She Who Must Be Obeyed.

I've just thought of a connection between Leo McKern and Ray Bradbury (via Rumpole of the Bailey). Anyone care to guess?

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Hmmm...I know they both like a wee dram now and again, but that's probably not it...

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wee is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
As is dram.

"Live Forever!"