Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    POLITIC ALLEY
Page 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 45

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

POLITIC ALLEY
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nico:

Probably true, Nard. Good prediction. Looks like Bradbury has some competition as "prophet of God"!

Ha!

First off, a prophet has to have a bee-line relationship with
God. And he can NOT be ever wrong in even the smallest detail.

Years back, Will and Ariel Durant wrote a shelf of books about Western civilization that were the epitome of man's understanding of his past. Pick up any volume, even the books during the time of Christ and before; and all the detail is there making utmost fascinating learning.

Today we have mounds of great learning and super mounds of absolute insanity. We have, in many respect, a segment of our culture that has gone morally mad. The internet for all practical purposes is still the Wild West. And there are countless tens of millions of soap-boxes out there (including this one), with every shade of meaning and reference you can imagine.

Perhaps it was something like this when Guttenburg finally started stamping out copies of the Bible and others figured it was time to make 'controversial' comments about John, Paul and Ring...! (Naw, thems came later.)

But you get my point.

Braling II~ So where do we draw the line in a culture taking a turn? I'd say you have to turn to the beginnings of Esquire magazine, Playboy, and the Flower-Power generation. At least, that was a BIG thump in the road. Or when the Catholic Church dropped the rating system. Movies were wild in the teens and early twenties, but .... oh, that is the beginning of a long discussion...

Or is it when good started to be called bad..and bad started to be called...good?

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Right, or when it became wrong to feel guilty.
Nothing wrong with feeling guilty if you are guilty.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Palin:

Styrofoam Greek columns!? Or green columns, or whatever she said. What in the heck does that have to do with anything? This speech has the biggest amount of "nothing" I've seen in awhile.

I guess when your party's record for the last eight years is a massive failure, you have to spend your time talking about the opponent, since you've nothing to run on yourself.

Well-crafted sound bites that cause the cattle in the room to go "whooooo!"

I can only hope that the American people are not quite stupid enough to buy this stuff (there's a stretch).

(*sigh*)

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought Palin did a remarkable job last night pulling the entire Republican party up by her boot straps but alas, it was just more of the same rhetoric. 9/11, and the war hero stuff with NOTHING else added. I have all the respect in the world for John McCain but getting the crap kicked out of you for five years doesnt qualify you for the presidency...

Posts: 86 | Registered: 31 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Parish:
I have all the respect in the world for John McCain but getting the crap kicked out of you for five years doesnt qualify you for the presidency...

I agree with every word.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Add to this that he has voted over 90% agreeing with Bush and how can that not add up to "more of the same".

It's shame really because Palin seems totally refreshing...Oh well ya can't have everything I guess!

Posts: 86 | Registered: 31 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You sure can't.

So write in Ron Paul!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Mog the Dog here.

There's a reason pit bulls don't wear lipstick.

Believe it or not, this isn't why:

This is:

"...lipstick can contain phthalates, chemical compounds used to make plastics, which also make lipstick creamier. These compounds have been linked to lupus in animal models."

From: http://lupus.webmd.com/news/20051117/lipstick-hair-dyes-raise-lupus-risk

MTD
former animal model

"I was not born, but instead created. I’m not alive, and yet I exist. I will never die, but some day I will be forgotten, as was the light by which I came into this world." MTD

Posts: 168 | Location: Out of the Attic | Registered: 18 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MogtheDog:
"...lipstick can contain phthalates, chemical compounds used to make plastics, which also make lipstick creamier. These compounds have been linked to lupus in animal models."

I blame Bush!

This is a political forum, after all.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
I am proud of John McCain for his patriotism and his service to the country. Now, if he would just change parties and support the real CHANGE that is needed, He would be my man. I think the American people are smart enough to see what was layed on them by the Republicans at the convention. Substance and intellegence, not retoric and more of same.

Also, no one has mentioned Palin's Creationsit views? This is, after all, the 21st century. You can't really be running on anti-science can you, for the next highest office in the land?

By the way, what supporter of a woman's right to chose is not also a right-to-life advocate, where and when appropriate to the needs of the mother and the child. This liberal, conservative, red, blue, right-to-life, right-to-chose, name calling and labeling, when will it all end?

Can't we all see what the game is? Divide and conquer. I think it will come down to: throw out the ones who got us into this present mess, and let's try another approach. For this reason, I remain an adamant middle of the roader, I vote for whoever is not in office, just to keep the bastards on their toes. I don't buy the Democrats=big government either, with the biggest deficit in history under the Conservative Republican Bush administration? Now, what, John Maynard Keyes and deficit spending to get us out of the next depression, brought on by a Republican administration as the previous one? Read your history. I am for the local union organizer. At least he did something that improved the country and the people he was there to serve. The
Republican's trickle-down econimics is really steal from the poor and give more to the rich, the anti-RobinHood policy. No one seems to mention the continuing separation between the means in the rich group of income earners vs that of the poor or lower class income earners, the gap is widening and next we will be into serfdoms again. Not this time.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:

This is a political forum, after all.

Mog the Dog here.

Indeed, it is. So when Palin joked about us lipstick-shunning pit bulls in her speech last night, I was moved to share with the good folks here in Politic Alley the real reason we pit bulls don't sport the stuff.

MTD
a.k.a. The world's oldest pit bull

"I was not born, but instead created. I’m not alive, and yet I exist. I will never die, but some day I will be forgotten, as was the light by which I came into this world." MTD

Posts: 168 | Location: Out of the Attic | Registered: 18 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How come no one has mentioned how much Palin resembles, or vice versa, Tina Fey, of SNL fame and currently starring in 30 Rock in NBC?

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let's not forget Palin's little book-banning attempt up in the Yukon.

Email: ordinis@gmail.com

Posts: 344 | Location: Redmond, Washington USA | Registered: 18 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah!

Book banner!

"Live Forever!"