Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    POLITIC ALLEY
Page 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

POLITIC ALLEY
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
If per chance that is the case, Big Time wrong on both accounts.

I know, right!? Like I said, I didn't take that meaning at all!

quote:
As for the tie..."Presidential" should be in words, actions, ethics, and appearance when on the job and in front of the camera. If it is playing ball, jogging, r&r, at a sporting event, family fun...go for the casual. The laid back look is great for the magazine racks, but just doesn't seem to carry weight when the world is watching important decisions being discussed or determined.

I just don't believe a fashion accessory makes one look "presidential". It appeared to be an "informal" interview with a tie-less interviewer. Plus, it humanizes the President somehow to show an occasional casualness.

I hate ties. RB loves them, although he hasn't worn one since he started wearing that French bling last Spring. I have to wonder which'll happen first: he'll wear it out or get tired of it.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Right on! Er, uh, I mean, "I concur!".
(We can all be offended if we try.)

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
If per chance that is the case, Big Time wrong on both accounts. So, it just goes to show you...I guess.

Perhaps The Lake might care to enlighten us.

Posts: 396 | Location: Never Never Land, UK | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was a boy, all men wore ties - and hats!
Even the guy that worked on your car wore a tie under his overalls.
And men tipped their hats to ladies!

(Ollie would twiddle his...)

Heck, I can remember when there was such a thing as a bad haircut!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Another fine mess you've gotten us into!"

To see the attire, their prerogative, of some of my fellow staff members - ties not mandatory, mind you, would make it difficult to separate the wheat from the chaff.

It's cooler, ...er radder, I guess.

(Glad the LH tunes still lighten the moment, SD! I made two copies. The other went to Mr. B. Pretty good company.)

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Braling II, just how old are you?

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Clarification.

The joke--"The tally is in! 2 million people attended the Inauguration of our new president. Only 14 missed work!"--is posted all over the Internet. It's "always" used as a racial slur. The unfortunate posting on this board was immediately followed by another jab.

I applauded John McCain when he stopped and corrected the woman who referred to Obama as an Arab. Words hurt, racial slurs and jokes perpetuate hate. Break the cycle. McCain did.

Posts: 194 | Registered: 06 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interestingly, McCain did, and he lost. He also kept his promise to stay with federal funds, which Obama failed to honor. McCain also refused to attack Obama's "associations" while McCain was unjustly saddled being called Bush II throughout the campaign. There are reasons to take the high moral ground; but it may not be the path to winning elections.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by biplane1:
Braling II, just how old are you?

Don't answer that, BII! It's an ageist remark!

Posts: 396 | Location: Never Never Land, UK | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's cooler, ...er radder, I guess.

It's neither - just more comfortable.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Lake:
The joke--"The tally is in! 2 million people attended the Inauguration of our new president. Only 14 missed work!"--is posted all over the Internet. It's "always" used as a racial slur.

Well that explains that. I was unaware of the racial connection - perhaps I'm just a little slow.

quote:
I applauded John McCain when he stopped and corrected the woman who referred to Obama as an Arab. Words hurt, racial slurs and jokes perpetuate hate. Break the cycle. McCain did.

I applauded that too.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Dark:
There are reasons to take the high moral ground; but it may not be the path to winning elections.

Exactly, like when Kerry refused to fight back on the Swift Boat ads Dubya was running until it was too late.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
"Always" used as a racial slur?
I didn't even consider race in that witticism.
Remember, I live in Santa Cruz county. Many, if not most of the folks who show up for protests and the like hereabouts don't seem to have to do anything for a living that would hinder their attendance, and nearly all are white.
I thought that's what was being referred to.

posted Hide Post
I guess this fits better here than in The Leave-Taking.

Love the pipe. Like the good old days when everyone wore pipes.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
And I was identified as the culprit initially, or at least, an accomplice. Well, I guess the The Hole in the Wall Gang is at it again!!

They're all wearing suits and ties: Real pros!
http://www.legendsofamerica.com/photos-oldwest/ButchCassidyGang-500.jpg

BTW: Jab? I had NO prior knowledge of the reference.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fjp451,

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post