Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    POLITIC ALLEY
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 45

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

POLITIC ALLEY
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
Didn't youse guys see patrask's Snopes links above?

Nope, I missed the Snopes. That'll teach me to reply to a question without reading all the way to the end of the thread!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
An authentic Christian knows he is vile, broken, stupid, perforated thru and thru with every ghastly spiritual disease known to mankind. It's called total depravity.

You're a Calvinist.

The Calvinists say that humans are depraved, whereas the Unitarians (the other end) say that humans are generally good.

It's a wide chasm.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doug Spaulding,

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mrs. Braling is a Prelactarian!
(She puts milk into the cup before the tea.)

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
Mrs. Braling is a Prelactarian!

A prelactarian, eh? That’s good.
Then there are always the midlactarians. Since I take a bit of honey in my tea/coffee, I first put in the beverage, then honey, then stir well to dissolve it.

When I do use half & half, I definitely put that in first, as I am in full agreement on the dangerous and increasingly common error of postlactarianism.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug Spaulding~
Calvanist? You mean this little fellow? Of course the comic strip lad was named after one John Calvin, 16th Century reformer. And tiger Hobbes was named after 17th century Thomas Hobbes, English political philosopher.
http://www.nivmedia.com/calvin/classicstrips.php

Doug~ I just read what it says:
Genesis 8, 21
"The intent of man's heart is evil from his youth."

Jer 17, vs 9
"The heart is decitful above all things and beyiond cure. Who can understand it?"

Ps 51, vs 5
"Surely I was sinful at birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me. " (also a verse for those who think nothing about abortion)

Doug:
You know there's many passages in scripture (not just these scripture-bites) that talk about the wasted soul of man without intervention of God.

Icky!

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

One should never use the bible to argue religion! Why? Because it's not infallible.

Love that tiger and his little boy!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Doug Spaulding: Saying the bible is not infallible has just put you in the league of skeptics. It's also a over-grossing term. It really means nothing in the long run. It's basically saying what the devil of Cooger and Dark said in the library with Mr. Holloway: This book has no power over me. What you are really saying is you don't want the bible to have power over you! To do so would require you see yourself as God sees you, not as you think God sees you.

I'm sorry, but this is supposed to be a politcal posting. So, let's see: I think I heard somewhere that Ray Bradbury liked Arnold, your governor of California. Does anyone know how Ray likes the Governor nowadays?

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by embroiderer:
I'm sorry, but this is supposed to be a political posting.

You're right of course, but I didn't start it. My apologies for making it worse, though.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Well, the big political story over here in the UK is (has been for several weeks or months) the shenanigans of Mugabe in Zimbabwe.

Step 1, have an election but withhold the results for several weeks.

Step 2, announce the results but claim that, although you lost, you didn't lose by enough votes to be deposed. So:

Step 3, announce a second ballot.

Step 4, harass the opposition so much that the other candidate withdraws form the election and holes up in the Dutch embassy.

Step 5, tell the people that your opponent withdrew too late, so the ballot will go ahead anyway.

Step 6, scare the people into voting for you because, hey, the other guy has withdrawn and you wouldn't want to waste your vote no, would you?.

How's that for politics!

(Did someone sneak back to the Jurassic era and step on a butterfly or something?)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good morning Phil, and good night.

Wow! This Mugabe is good - he could start his own religion.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Shenanigans is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Doug Spaulding~
Calvanist? You mean this little fellow? Of course the comic strip lad was named after one John Calvin, 16th Century reformer. And tiger Hobbes was named after 17th century Thomas Hobbes, English political philosopher.
http://www.nivmedia.com/calvin/classicstrips.php

Genesis 8, 21
"The intent of man's heart is evil from his youth."

Jer 17, vs 9
"The heart is decitful above all things and beyiond cure. Who can understand it?"

Ps 51, vs 5
"Surely I was sinful at birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me. " (also a verse for those who think nothing about abortion)

Doug:
You know there's many passages in scripture (not just these scripture-bites) that talk about the wasted soul of man without intervention of God.

Icky!

Well, the way I see things here, as a cognitive enlightened being with the capacity to learn from His mistakes, Man has the power to make choices, which can be either for the general good of Mankind, or the general bad. That puts the onus on Mankind to study, learn, and improve in the making of said choices, so that progress can be made toward the state of Godliness that is so desired. Starting with the belief that Mankind is inherently evil, and cannot make correct choices on his own, leaves only the case that he needs an interjection by someone to provide the correct model for his behavior in making those choices. Since the Bible is now known to have had several redactions, edits and compilations over the last 2500 or so years, touched by those very hands that some do not trust as being worthy of making correct choices in the first place, why would a cognitive enlightened person believe that the answer is to be found there? The answer my friend is blowin' in the wind - to quote a bard of my generation, and it is up to US, that is you and me, to get it right. There ain't no manual for this life that was not already corrupted by some human with an agenda that usually was to control the simple minds of those who had been kept in the dark by the same people who generated the manual. Love is the answer my friends, and correct choices are not that hard to make, the Golden Rule is a fine example of a guideline for making choices, that will keep you on the path toward Godliness. The rest is just sound and fury.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
Good morning Phil, and good night.

Shame on you. You should be getting your beauty sleep - not that you need it!

Posts: 396 | Location: Never Never Land, UK | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
By the way , I have now completed my reading of:

Did Man Create God? Is Your Spiritual Brain at peace with your Thinging Brain?
by David E. Comings, M.D.
Hope Press, Duate, CA (The City of Hope)

Most challenging in the information presented about the structure and resaerch that has been done on the human brain and what all that might mean to our need for spirituality to enrich our lives. I highly recommend it. Dr. Comings is very well read and knows of which he speaks, as a genetist and person who has studied the brain and its many aberations during his working life.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tinkerbell:
You should be getting your beauty sleep - not that you need it!

Thanks!

"Live Forever!"