Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    POLITIC ALLEY
Page 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

POLITIC ALLEY
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I read somewhere he paid nearly $1000 (+tax??) for his glasses. Is this possible?
http://photos.upi.com/story/t/70b6474b0fc6bea669f5a8ab1...income_tax_flubs.jpg

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll bet - those are very nice glasses!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LensCrafters had a sale two years ago and I fell for it. Wound up with the kind of frame I wanted, (179.00). Surely you can find a very same-looking pair at Walgreens Drug Store for $9.98. Then there was the trifocal and the special coating on the lens. Total price $650.00. Not counting $125.00 eye exam. The sale: a second pair for half the price. (Oh yea, and another $100.00 for insurance.) The trifocal, in my case, is the killer.

After two year use I discovered I could have gotten a better, more durable pair for about $150. --- in Mexico, eye exam included.

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
500 million people - in our wonderful 57 states:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8hMJVXt09E

Wow!

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
fjp451 ~
Pelosi and Biden both were called on the carpet by the respective area Catholic Archbishops to question them about their stance on abortion. Both Roman Catholics, they were told they must refrain from Holy Communion. Last I heard....no carpet walk. If there was one, I haven't read or heard a follow-up.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
500 million people - in our wonderful 57 states:

I thought after eight years we were done with that sort of thing. I guess not.

57?

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When you add in the 7 extra states per Obama, of course it adds up to 500 million. (with the cats and dogs, of course. They're not working)

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Knox:
(with the cats and dogs, of course. They're not working)

Then we need to support them, dadgummit!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
The tally is in!

2 million people attended the Inauguration of our new president.

Only 14 missed work!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard: "Hypocrisy" is culturally, socially, politically, economically, most unfortunately ~ spiritually, quite profoundly in vogue!
(Adverbs are great!)

Q's:
Where is BO's tie? (Oh, yeah! Relax, be happy.)
What is Mizzzzz. P saying !!!!??? ("Mumbo Jumbo" is a good word!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwUSt7dfj5I

RE: BII - "Only 14 missed work!" Nice!

posted Hide Post
I thought that some of you were above cheap racist jokes. I thought wrong.

Posts: 194 | Registered: 06 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What?????

posted Hide Post
quote:
Nard: "Hypocrisy" is culturally, socially, politically, economically, most unfortunately ~ spiritually, quite profoundly in vogue!

But I never read Vogue.

quote:
(Adverbs are great!)

You sound like an English teacher.

quote:
Where is BO's tie?

I don't blame him a bit. That's the one item I refuse to wear - makes me feel like I got a noose strangling me.

quote:
What is Mizzzzz. P saying !!!!??? ("Mumbo Jumbo" is a good word!)

Dang Nancy - I haven't been that dizzy since my last three-martini night. All that spinning! (Psst: life begins at conception - it's not that hard)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doug Spaulding,

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
What?????

I think The Lake is talking about your use of the word "Mizzzzz", suggesting that it sounds like a slave of old addressing a white woman.

While I didn't personally take that from your communication, I do see how another might have done so, although I don't think the argument holds water.

Also, "Black Mumbo" and "Black Jumbo" are used as names for the parents of Little Black Sambo.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
If per chance that is the case, Big Time wrong on both accounts. So, it just goes to show you...I guess.

My diction here has never been derogatory. Critical and/or of personal perspective, yes, but racial or sexist!? Well, read into them what you want. It's still a free country.

Here: "Mizzz" because Mrs. Pelosi's response in the clip put me to sleep...zzz!
"Mumbo jumbo" (NOT, those other allusions to which you refer), literally - meaningless incantation; pretentious language designed to confuse.

An acutely accurate assessment of her response, I thought!

DS: As for the tie..."Presidential" should be in words, actions, ethics, and appearance when on the job and in front of the camera. If it is playing ball, jogging, r&r, at a sporting event, family fun...go for the casual. The laid back look is great for the magazine racks, but just doesn't seem to carry weight when the world is watching important decisions being discussed or determined.

presidential - RE: the qualities of a chief executive of a modern republic, university, company, or presiding officer of a legislative assembly

A preference on my part!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fjp451,