Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    POLITIC ALLEY
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 45

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

POLITIC ALLEY
 Login/Join

posted
There has been Religion thread.

And Pres. elections are straight ahead at the signpost.
Pray you restrain aiming rocks this way.

Well, here it goes~

Talked with Ray Bradbury last week briefly about the upcoming election.
"What do you think?" he asked. "Is there anyone out there worth voting for?"
"Naw," I recall muttering while considering the left side of Ray's shoulder.
"Me either," Ray said.
"I don't like Obama!" I said.
Ray snapped back, "I don't like Obama either. But I don't necessarily like McCain either."

So there we were!

This election has me riled! Having watched and listened thru all the days of debate between Barack Obama and Allan Keyes for the Senate race in Illinois, the question kept coming up, even then: "Barack Obama says he's a Christian. But is Obama a Christian?' Keyes destroyed Obama each night with his articulate attack on Obama's world-views, especially on his religious beliefs. And now, today, one of the most respected Christian-advocate voices in America, Dr. James Dobson* of "Focus on the Family" has come out and aimed some heavy stuff at Obama's rhetoric of twisting the Constitution, and his silly views on Biblical matters and Christ.

I watch interviews of Obama and think:
This guy isn't a kid! He's 45, 46, heading to 50. He is enormously charismatic, persuasive, cuts a near brilliant figure of audience excitement, and with what I heard in those Illinois debates and his views of Biblical matters, this is all downright alarming.

McCain doesn't appeal to the younger set. It takes intellectual stamina to understand the woes of the world. With Obama, it's slippery butter to ease you into the chaos that is the world, and find it comfortable.

*The Dr. James Dobson report:
http://buzz.yahoo.com/article/1:y_news:55e95e01454149ad...zvp9t5xp_1Fn8QTan414

Stay tuned for the VP selections! Yow!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nard Kordell,

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hillary was Billary;
Obama is yo Mama;
'Cause McCain is just Bush again!

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, as long as you brought it up...

I like Barack, but I liked Hillary too. They may be a ticket.

I liked McCain in 2000 (although I was a Gore man), and despised Bush for smearing him in South Carolina, but now McCain has the Bush baggage - he can't speak out too much against the current "administration" without alienating the Republican base. Nor can he be too much of a maverick, which is what I liked about him eight years ago.

Besides, McCain says he will continue the (failed) Bush Iraq policy. The war should have never been started and needs to end now! At least Barack has said he'll do that, and as the war is the most important issue we face now, he's clearly the obvious major candidate.

Gore isn't running this time around, which is what I was looking forward to.

My party of choice (the Libertarian) hasn't rallied yet (give them another generation), and the best man for the job is still Ron Paul.

It'll be an interesting election, to be sure.

Until then,

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am reminded of a sticker I saw on T Bone Burnett's equipment after a concert at HOB San Diego a couple years ago: "Nixon is no longer the worst President ever".

T Bone has always been a very intelligent man!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard, there may be a solution to your country's political woes. Perhaps this third candidate could make a difference.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brilliant, Phil!

(uh, does it cost anything to do that?)

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had hopes for Ron Paul, but not realistic ones. Same with Alan Keyes last election. By the way, I didn't know about the Keyes/Obama debates. Would've loved to have seen those!
Well, I'm glad Gore is not an option. He's an absolute twit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVw1PANUcdg

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First, PHIL you rascal! Funny funny! Thanks for this early morning 'coffee' for my half awake senses.

Braling II:
W0W! I found some of the debates between Obama and Keyes on YOUTUBE. Check these out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md2bf9DNVB4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53QapiHA0Lg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SG5u04Gbg0A&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x-LLyXMu30&feature=related

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nard Kordell,

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
He's an absolute twit.

No he isn't - he's an intelligent man, well-versed in foreign policy and a great record on environmental issues; he would make a very good president.

I fail to see how it's his fault Irena didn't win the Nobel Prize, and if you're not suggesting that then I think he's being unfairly picked on.

Clearly Irena was very deserving of the prize as well.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
God Blessed Irena!

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
W0W! I found some of the debates between Obama and Keyes on YOUTUBE. Check these out:

Wow, indeed.

Am I the only one who thinks that Mr Keyes comes across as a self-righteous jerk?

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Doug Spaulding~

You may think Keyes is a jerk, but others disagree:

UN Ambassador Jeane Kirkpatrick didn't think so when she made Keyes her protege. Later ALan Keyes was appointed UN Ambassador by Ronald Reagan. Still later, Ambassdor the the Economic and Social Council of the United Nations.

This is what President Ronald Reagan had to say about Keyes:

"Alan Keyes did such an extraordinary job, defending our country against the forces of anti-Americanism. I've never known a more stout-hearted defender of a strong America than Alan Keyes."

posted Hide Post
"As the call on our moral judgement grows greater, our confidence in those things that provide the foundation of moral judgement grows ever weaker." - Alan Keyes

Which reminds me (I think I've posed the question before) have you read that book by Keyes' late mentor Allan Bloom, "The Closing Of The American Mind"?

(...and Gore is too a twit! So there!)

posted Hide Post
Now, one needs to ask oneself, would I buy a used car from BHO! When his explanations are done, and I have kicked the tires and honked the horn, I get a deep gut feeling he is pressuring me into buying a car I really don't like and for which I have no inclination for the model. Yet, at the same time, he is attempting to convince me to be prepared to immediately hand the vehicle over to someone "more deserving" of the purchase then I!?

Ever see the very old TZ episode "The Whole Truth"?
http://tzone.the-croc.com/tzeplist/whole.html

A.G.: 55K lbs. of hot air! Click the video
http://motls.blogspot.com/2007/09/gulfstream-from-nashville.html

For over two years, six of us have car pooled 50mi. round trip. Now, gas 4.50/gal! "I don't need no stinkin' lectures." I push my lawn mower, burn wood in the winter, wear an extra layer at night, recycle like mad, walk downtown, boys ride bikes to ballgames, and drive 5mph slower than I did 3 years ago.

So, why not tap into our own petro potential (said to be as great or greater than that under the sand)?

Oh, yeah. US Wheat is $17 a bushel. How about exporting some for $117/b and seeing if that raises some eyebrows? How about that ski hill in the middle of the desert in Saudi! Nice.

The "Greatest Generation" would say what to us? My parents lived it. No free rides.

"Walking. Just walking!" Indeed, Mr. B.

Hmmm! Was that a rant?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fjp451,

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
(uh, does it cost anything to do that?)

No, it seems to be totally free. (Play the video clip through to the end and you are presented with an invitation to spoof your friends by sending them a personalised version of the video. I was amazed when I first saw it.)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post