Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    POLITIC ALLEY
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 45

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

POLITIC ALLEY
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Braling II~
Your posted video shakes one up. I reposted the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVw1PANUcdg

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
Ever see the very old TZ episode "The Whole Truth"?

Several times. I have the boxed set , in fact.

That's one of the few "experimental" episodes they shot on the new technology of video tape. Notice how it has an appearance different from most episodes?

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember the good ole days where there was a real choice: http://www.paulsen.com/pat/

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
jkt
The Pat Paulsen video is a blast!

But how would Obama react to a modern Hitler? Try to negotiate? How about McCain after listening to a speech like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXq_YOE7cjo

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My own problem with Obama's faith began when he was asked about what he would do if he could talk to Jesus. And he said he would ask Jesus if he was going up, or going down. Now if he read his Bible, he would know which way the perplexed Mr. Obama was going. You surrender your life to Christ, and you enter the life of Christ, where he already suffered for all the wrong doing you will ever do. Now how could Obama miss such in important point, a point which is the central core of Christian faith?

Interesting that not much is heard from John McCain as to the central core of his faith. Perhaps Obama wields such an alarmingly strong influence, coupled with his rhetoric of faith, that the issue is forced open to extreme scrutiny. Whereas John McCain seems to go on with daily life with his mouth taped shut.

Posts: 162 | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe the best politicians are already in other lines of work they will never leave. Take for instance the section by Ray Bradbury (you'll have to scroll a little down to the Forward) discussing Walt Disney.

http://www.scifistation.com/walt/walt_index.html

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beautiful.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
Beautiful.

Even more beautiful when you are lucky enough to have heard Mr. B speak those words at a public venue. You can "feel" how moved the audience is.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I may play devil's advocate for a bit here... heh, heh, heh...

It should be understood that I have a limited interest in politics; I have nothing whatsoever to say about either candidate at present. But a few general observations...

First off, I honestly don't care all that much about the particular religious views of any candidate. As long as they are not too far off-the-wall (Scientology, anyone?) it is not a huge deal for me. I'm looking for a leader in matters of state, not a new minister. And quite frankly, I would not trust the theological views espoused by a candidate anyway. It is simple enough to for them to mouth all the "right" words, in order to get the vote, without believing a fraction of what they are saying.

I would probably be more likely to vote for someone who does NOT express a strong religious viewpoint, come to think of it. Someone who doesn't give the impression of "from my mouth to God's ears," if that makes any sense! One thing I've learned in life, is to be instantly suspicious of someone who loudly proclaims that they are following "God's will." Seriously, I've heard this time and time again, people saying things like "Oh, I had this problem, and I prayed about it, and God spoke to me..." Funny thing is, God seems to be giving out contradictory advice, because the information God "imparted" to these people often seems to be quite the opposite from one person to another. Give me a candidate any day who has a firm, logical mind-set, without relying too much on divine intervention.

Hmmm, so Dobson doesn't care for Obama? Now there's a shocker. I cannot believe Dobson would endorse any Democratic candidate no matter WHAT they said; quite the opposite, in fact. I distrust Dobson completely, due to his continuing insistence that this country was founded on "Christian principles" (not really true, far as my research has led) and also because of his desire to intertwine religion and the national government. Look at world history (the history of the UK in particular); it is inevitably disastrous when the government takes a strong hand in the religious life of its citizens. I am frankly puzzled by those who wish to have a religious component in a secular government. Christianity has splintered into hundreds of sects, many of whom cannot see eye-to-eye with one another on almost any given point. How would you feel if the government was guided by religious doctrine, but a political party came into power that did not share your own particular religious viewpoint? In that case, the separation of church and state would sound pretty good, I'd say...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: theoctobercountry,

Posts: 232 | Location: The Land of Trees and Heroes | Registered: 10 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
theoctobercountry speaks words of wisdom - listen.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
theoctobercountry speaks words of wisdom - listen.

Why, I'm honoured that you think so. But believe it, that's not often been said of me---ha!

Posts: 232 | Location: The Land of Trees and Heroes | Registered: 10 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OC for VP!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Somewhat sensible, but "if you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything". I respect a candidate who has the guts to take a stand, even one I find repugnant, and express his views rather than try to be all things to all people. I do agree, however, that one's qualifications for a job may be totally independent from one's philosophy. Imagine even a militant vegetarian in power!

(Oh yeah, one of my pet orthographic peeves: "lead" is only pronounced "led" when referring to the metal. Past tense of the verb "lead" is, in fact, "led".)

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
..or, of course, when in doubt, "Pb."

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
fjp451: I tend to, sorry to say (no offense)...disagree with a lot that you say. Especially regarding someone's faith, or contradictory...'I hear from God'...situations.

Without a backbone in moral and ethical standards, things slip. Look what happened in England last week. I guess Phil Nichols (philnic) there in the UK can tell me if what I heard is wrong, but England has decided that schools can no longer teach the history of the Holocaust. Why? Because many Muslims do not believe it existed and therefore it offends them.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post