Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    POLITIC ALLEY
Page 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 45

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

POLITIC ALLEY
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Yes. Bless you all, certainly.

But I pledge allegiance to no flag and no nation, but rather I pledge allegiance to God and to humankind.

To do otherwise is tribal mentality, and that keeps us enemies with each other. There's nothing wrong with being proud of your country and having a bit of that pride show, but extreme patriotism takes it much too far in the wrong direction.

I know how many will perceive and receive this, but I'm not afraid to say it.

- Doug Spaulding, Citizen of the Earth!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now I'm sure you're very wise.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
Yes. Bless you all, certainly.

But I pledge allegiance to no flag and no nation, but rather I pledge allegiance to God and to humankind.

To do otherwise is tribal mentality, and that keeps us enemies with each other. There's nothing wrong with being proud of your country and having a bit of that pride show, but extreme patriotism takes it much too far in the wrong direction.

I know how many will perceive and receive this, but I'm not afraid to say it.

- Doug Spaulding, Citizen of the Earth!

How patriotic did you feel when they struck your Towers?

Posts: 396 | Location: Never Never Land, UK | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tinkerbell:

Interesting question. Being caught up in extreme patriotism could blind you to what's really going on, as it did the majority of our country, even causing us to blindly follow a "leader" who took us into an undeclared and unjust war on a country which didn't attack us.

Back to your question. As best I can recall, I felt shocked, saddened and, even though "vengeance is mine", saith Romans 12:19, I must admit that I was revenge-minded, and was increasingly angry at the "leaders" of my country for not going after Osama and his crew. I must also say that I still don't understand why the search has been abandoned in favour of taking over Iraq.

A patriot is defined as "one who loves his or her country and supports its authority and interests", so I guess you couldn't really call me a patriot strictly, because even tho I love the good things about this country, there are too many bad, and I certainly don't love those. I would love it if we could change them, but steering a country in a new direction is a process which takes generations.

Supports its authorities? When its authorities are crooks and war criminals, then no.

Here I stand, for I can do naught else. Do you hate me for that?

Let me tell you a little about myself, so that perhaps you can understand me better:

I rarely involve myself with grand causes, but live by my own set of ethics, which might be quite revolutionary. No amount of argument will shake me loose from them. I am a visionary with my own ideas, and practical matters do not interest me very much. Though I am always polite and kind, I may sometimes try to shock people, just to see their reactions.

I am mercurial, with extreme, but changeable opinions. What I fiercely believe one day may be radically altered the next. I am idealistic and love to examine new ideas and horizons. I am totally honest and a seeker after truth, hating ignorant prejudice and blind faith. I see beneath the surface of things and have an intense desire to see justice and fair play.

Thanks for your question.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by tinkerbell:

Interesting question. Being caught up in extreme patriotism could blind you to what's really going on, as it did the majority of our country, even causing us to blindly follow a "leader" who took us into an undeclared and unjust war on a country which didn't attack us.

Come one. Why Japan attacked Pearl Harbor is that we (US) blockaded their oil. We provoked Japan because the United States was neutral and wanted to get into the War. Most of that is true. But no one finds out until 50 years go by. To say we know the whole story about Iraq today is foolish. I don't know what's going on with my neighbor, much less the intricate goings on between governments and leaders.

To say your opinions change from hour to hour makes you sound unstable. That means no one can never rely on any of your thinking. It may change by noon. You MUST have a set of principles based on "truth", eternal truth, that judge matters coherently.

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Knox:
To say we know the whole story about Iraq today is foolish.

I don't know - we live in an age of information assimilation. I think we know a lot more about these situations today than we did back during the WWII.

quote:
To say your opinions change from hour to hour makes you sound unstable.

No it doesn't - it makes me sound reasonable. It means that I can change my mind if I am presented with a better way. It means I'm open to listening to reason and not so stubborn that I'll never change my opinion no matter how badly it's going and to insist I'm right when all evidence points the other way (W).

I do have a set of principles based on eternal truth.

Hope this helps.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines. With consistency a great soul has simply nothing to do. He may as well concern himself with his shadow on the wall. Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day. — 'Ah, so you shall be sure to be misunderstood.' — Is it so bad, then, to be misunderstood? Pythagoras was misunderstood, and Socrates, and Jesus, and Luther, and Copernicus, and Galileo, and Newton, and every pure and wise spirit that ever took flesh. To be great is to be misunderstood."

-Emerson

Email: ordinis@gmail.com

Posts: 344 | Location: Redmond, Washington USA | Registered: 18 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nico:
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines. With consistency a great soul has simply nothing to do. He may as well concern himself with his shadow on the wall. Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day. — 'Ah, so you shall be sure to be misunderstood.' — Is it so bad, then, to be misunderstood? Pythagoras was misunderstood, and Socrates, and Jesus, and Luther, and Copernicus, and Galileo, and Newton, and every pure and wise spirit that ever took flesh. To be great is to be misunderstood."

-Emerson

Please don't tell me Emerson was a Christian. He wasn't. He didn't put any trust in anything except himself. Trust thyself was his catch phrase. Your Emerson quote sounds like what he believed in...not much.

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rigid, much too rigid!

Email: ordinis@gmail.com

Posts: 344 | Location: Redmond, Washington USA | Registered: 18 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hobgoblin is a good word.

Thanks.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
I know this has been edited from other speeches, but it still reflects a lot of truth, and as such, it's very important.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Hey, Spaulding. I have one where Hitler talks about his love of Bishop Spong. Lots of truth there, too. You know, how much Hitler loved the bizarre in religious icons.

posted Hide Post
Call me Doug, please. You've brought up several interesting points:

Hitler? Unlikely - Spong was but a lad when Adolf passed.

I don't get your icon connection, however.

Let me guess - GWB fan?

When (and where) will you be settled?

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Call me Doug, please. You've brought up several interesting points:

Hitler? Unlikely - Spong was but a lad when Adolf passed.

I don't get your icon connection, however.

Let me guess - GWB fan?

When (and where) will you be settled?

I should just leave this one alone.

I can manipulate any sort of video or film to get people to say what I want. Spong would have loved Hitler. Adolph would have loved Spong. And I can manipulate a video to show just that. Even find some truth in it. Hitler supposedly had the actual nail or two from the original cross, the spear that struck Christ on the cross, and various other icons. He figured it held a lot of power. Hence the Spielberg movies, like Indiana Jones that capitalized on Hitler's obsession. The point is that video is in itself stupid.