Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    POLITIC ALLEY
Page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 45

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

POLITIC ALLEY
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
...emphasis on slave-holding...

Yeah, what about slavery?

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Slavery?

If memory serves me right, the possibility of a genuine Declaration of Independence from England hinged on the slavery issue. I believe it was South Carolina (Georgia?) who held out on signing the Declaration.

Ben Franklin and John Adams got into it over this issue. John Adams was adamant that the slavery issue be resolved at the time. Ben Franklin had to change John Adams' thinking. If Adams did not give in to South Carolina who wanted to keep slavery (?)...there would be NO signing of the Declaration of Independence.

Thomas Jefferson had already resolved to free his slaves before the signing. But he was forced to strike out any reference to freeing the slaves. By eventually agreeing to let future generation deal with the slavery issue, the Declaration of Independence had the votes to be passed.

That was, until Pennsylvania with three delegate votes, wound-up with a 1 for signing and 1 against. The third delegate, by the name of Wilson, cast for Independence, even tho he leaned strongly toewards holding slaves. He did not want to be remembered as ultimately holding back from breaking away from England. Otherwise, there would not have been a United States of America

As to George Washington and reference to God (Creator)...check out his Inaugural speech.

http://www.history.com/presidents/washington/speeches

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, thanks.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Nard.
Could you imagine our political leaders speaking this articulately?

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Could you imagine our political leaders speaking this articulately?

Just Barack.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Hah! Good one, Doug! I actually laughed aloud at that!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I actually laughed aloud at that!

Well, anytime I can bring a chuckle...

I believe the kids call it "lol".

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
This site is where I discovered the Treaty of Tripoli. (History is more my piano than my forte.)

Little-Known U.S. Document

I bookmarked it under "Interesting Stuff".

Posts: 152 | Location: Formerly SacraDemento, California | Registered: 23 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dragonfly:
Little-Known U.S. Document

I bookmarked it under "Interesting Stuff"

Ha!

I think I'm probably a Deist as well. Spong too, probably. And Lincoln, etcetera.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doug Spaulding,

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
The idea that Washington was a true diest or irreligious is simply a fabrication of the revisionist, secular element of our culture.

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2006/aprilweb-only/114-22.0.html

Posts: 384 | Location: Anaheim, CA. | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mmmmff... nothing unBIASed about that!

Posts: 152 | Location: Formerly SacraDemento, California | Registered: 23 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Again, ha!

Mmmmff is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:

After reading all these posts about who is Christian, what is Christianity, how things have been altered, who is lying, who is telling the truth, what Gospels are real, what are not, what President believed this, and why those writers are not telling the truth, and on and on.... well...

...you haven't seen nuttin' yet when it comes to what is true, what is false, who to believe, what to believe!! In just one generation, the world has turned into a gigantic 'Tower of Babel'.

Everyone with a computer is now a news reporter, a moving picture creator, a philospher immediately available to a world-wide audience. Unthinkable a couple decades ago. Informed or uninformed. Who knows?

I have linked several items here. It's all crazy, mixed with a few grains of truth. As a new generation comes around, who the heck will be able to sift thru this mega-pile of innuendos and tripe to scare up what truth there may be?

The Bradbury link is offensive. It's 98+% baloney. The other stuff is even more offensive.

For those youngsters pinned to the computer for their sole-info, I'd say to others, get into heavy-duty counseling work now. There's a ton of business up ahead.

http://imc-yucatan.espora.org/news/2008/07/2263.php

http://www.no-debts.com/anti-federalist/masons.html

http://weblogs.ucalgary.ca/jstaley/blog/2006/11/29/jesu...responsible_for_9_11

http://www.firstgen.org/essays/rbradbury.htm

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:

For those youngsters pinned to the computer for their sole-info, I'd say to others, get into heavy-duty counseling work now. There's a ton of business up ahead.

http://www.firstgen.org/essays/rbradbury.htm

Probably true, Nard. Good prediction. Looks like Bradbury has some competition as "prophet of God"!

Ha!

Email: ordinis@gmail.com

Posts: 344 | Location: Redmond, Washington USA | Registered: 18 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of the book I read early this year, "The Cult of the Amateur: How today's Internet is killing our culture" by Andrew Keen...