Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    THE MAN KEEPS ON GOING
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

THE MAN KEEPS ON GOING
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
As a kid, wow, Marian, madam librarian....

http://www.endresnet.com/MarianLibrarian.txt

("Carrion" how romantically poetic!)

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
More about the off broadway play of F-451:

http://dallas.broadwayworld.com/viewcolumn.cfm?colid=7555

Posts: 194 | Registered: 06 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it's "The Music Man," "Oklahoma!" or "The Wizard of Oz," I know the territory, but on "The Sound of Music" I REALLY know them there hills:

(Guess. Okay, we all look so much alike even I don't know which one I am!)

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great picture. Great moment, I’m sure. You do know the territory.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandelion,

Easy. You're the hottest looking one in the picture.

Give me something hard to do next time.

Best,

Pete

Posts: 614 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandy,
Aw, c'mon! Let us know which one is you. After all, I did post my picture on this board!

I've always wanted to be in a musical. I've done lots of choral and solo work, as well as playing music; all for audiences ranging from a few to thousands of folks. But, having a son and a daughter who've both been in musicals, I know what a commitment that is! There's also a bond between the performers that forms having lived with the music and characters that's ineffable. Good Job!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Second from left--middle one of three in glasses.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well starch my wimple! I didn't think you'd tell us! Did you have any lines? Looks like maybe the photo was taken whilst singing "How Do You Solve A Problem Like Maria" ?
Have you ever read "The Von Trapp Family Singers" by Maria von Trapp? My wife did and says the musical only covers the first part of the book.
By the way, Biplane would like the movie version as it features Angela Cartwright.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tol' ja.

Pete

Posts: 614 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, I had no lines. In "How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria?" I sang but did not appear onstage as I was also in the orchestra! The orchestra had to be strategically arranged so my voice wasn't coming from a different place than the others, but everything in that place is pretty close together. This picture was taken during the "Alleluia" after the "Morning Hymn" which in the play is the opening--in the movie the order is switched with the title song, during which I and the other "orchestra nun" had to QUICK change out of our habits!

Hey, Pete, thanks!

posted Hide Post
I've been told to change MY habits too!
We have a small theatre here that puts on very good productions, too - all volunteer, including the orchestra, so I can relate.
Speaking of switching songs, I wonder why "An Ordinary Couple" was replaced by "Somewhere in My Youth" in the movie? The former fits the story as well as Maria's character and beliefs ,while the latter seems to me inappropriate.

posted Hide Post
BrII, not much on the songs' topic, but a thought conjured with this string's direction. We read the Von Trapp Family's story to one another a summer ago while traveling.

Quite amazing - the human spirit in the the most dire of circumstances. Such trials keep us all quite humble, or at least they should!
http://www.billanderson.homestead.com/vontrappfamily.html

Dandelion: Very becoming, in a parochial sort of way.

(Gr.1-12, so I have a bit of experience...with the wonder and wrath of the kindly Sisters.) "Sing On!"

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure why the song change, but a fundamentalist friend who otherwise liked the story called the song "I Must Have Done Something Good" "humanist," as in "secular humanist," the supposedly evil anti-Christian religion. Don't let's get started!

We had to line up in the lobby before the show and found it surprising how many Catholic school alumni came in and had flashbacks. Only one actual Catholic among the nuns--luckily it was the Reverend Mother (chosen for her voice, not her religion!)

posted Hide Post
Yeah, that "Must Have Done..." song smacks of a Western understanding of the Hindu concept of "Karma", rather than Roman Catholicism; where, as I mentioned before, "Ordinary Couple" fits better with both the story and Maria's character and beliefs.

posted Hide Post
Oh Braling II, for youth and spirit. I wonder what Angela looks like now. Her sister Veronica was on a recent TV show and for her age looked great. Hopefully younger sis Angie will fare the same.

And of Oklahoma, Pete, I never saw a place so hot in the summer and then to have cold and blowing snow in the winter. Yes I spent a little time outside Lawton at good ol' Ft. Sill many moons ago, in fact just after having got to meet Ray in March of that year. Ancient history now.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post