Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    THE MAN KEEPS ON GOING
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

THE MAN KEEPS ON GOING
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Speaking of American Masters, when does Ray get the honorary doctorate from a university that he so richly deserves?

He didn't have the funds to attend Stanford with all his buddies years ago, yet he proves to all the world that one does not need a degree to be brilliant.
He is one of the most well read and FULLY EDUCATED people I've ever encountered.

I know college grads who rarely read and can barely craft a coherent sentence!

In fact, I like to think of Mr. B as an "inadvertent intellectual."

Does anyone on this forum know how to get the process rolling to make him "Dr. Bradbury"?

Love to you in all you do~~

Posts: 52 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: 07 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very good point Cori. Isn't A & E sometimes hosted by Matt Lauer or am I thinking of another program?

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And good point N. K. Love. When I think of all the losers who have been bequeathed honoray degrees (their names shall remain unspkoen)you would think that Ray should, by now, have had a half a dozen or more bestowed upon him.

Let's get a movement going here, fill out petitions, call your congressmen, college president's or whoever you need to contact, to see if this can be done.

What I want to know is why did they wait so long for Ray to get a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame when he had to attend using his walker when snot-nosed male and female actors (many under the age of thirty) have gotten theirs? It really chaps my hide!

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not to mention some of his greatest fans, whose names shall also remain unspoken, found out about his Star Ceremony only two days before the fact when it takes two weeks to get decent plane tickets and make travel plans!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What an excellent idea--you wouldn't think someone like Ray, who's received a literary award from the President, would have any trouble getting an honorary PhD--or several! Yet, how do you get that train rolling?

And, what lucky university would be first? Illinois? California? Anyone at U of I listening?

Posts: 195 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We need contacts at universities. I have contacts in Texas, from whence I made good my escape last year. Seems it ought to come from California, though, since this has been Ray's home for 70 years.
Stanford, UCLA, USC. I'll talk to some people.
Everybody else, think of whom you can ask about procedural issues.
Let's DO IT!

Happy holidays to you and yours,
NLove

Posts: 52 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: 07 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, what's up with that? Who could be more deserving? is it cause he spoke up against the man in F451?

Posts: 386 | Registered: 31 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would the LA Library System (via a chairperson, CEO, political contact - the Governator!), for which Mr. B has been a champion of champions for 60yrs., be a place to plant an idea? It really needs to be done and, as was the Star, is long overdue.

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great thought, fjp451. Just the kind I expect from those astute enough to read "Dr. Bradbury"!

I'll give some people a call and report back with my findings.

Anyone out there a professor, an administrator, a politician (yes, politicians read...) ? Anyone have the information we need about procedural protocol in this regard?

posted Hide Post
Maybe he wouldn't want an honorary PhD. How important to him do you think that really is? Just a thought.

Posts: 168 | Location: Santa Fe, NM | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Next time I communicate with him I'll ask. He has a well-developed value system, certainly. Yet with his intellect and awesome creativity, he shines brighter than many academic scholar-stars.

posted Hide Post
Although an honorary doctorate is a great idea, and I’m all for it, I agree that Ray should be consulted before any serious steps are taken. And biplane 1, it really chaps my hide too. What a great expression.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, it would only seem fitting that his unofficial alma mater - UCLA - should have, by now, seen the fire, as their moto is "Let there be Light" and realized that "Fahrenheit 451" was written in the school library's basement. The light from that glow has spread around the world and Ray should be offically welcomed back home with an honorary degree in Liturature.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
patrask:

THAT'S IT! You got it! Perfect! How fitting can something be?

Okay! Whose got the in-the-know out there at UCLA? Good Gosh! UCLA is minutes from Ray's house. This is not only a great idea... it's the neighborly thing to do!

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We love you, Nard Kordell. Your enthusiasm! Your exclamation points! You remind me of Ray!

Ever received a higher compliment?

I'll make some calls in the morning and report back to you all, my beautiful cohorts in the sublime pursuit of excellent literature, on the morrow.

Love to you in all you do,
N. Love