Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    THE MAN KEEPS ON GOING
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

THE MAN KEEPS ON GOING
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Biplane, here's a pretty good Angela site:
http://www.angela-cartwright.com/
As for Veronica, the DVD reissue of Hitchcock's
"The Birds" has recent interviews with her, as well as Rod Taylor and Tippi Hedrin.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And, I have to keep asking, HOW does Ray do it?

Some years ago in I believe it was "Newsweek" magazine was a timeline of people with stellar achievements, saying, "he did this, he did that, then he overreached himself" with catastrophic results. The list included people from Napoleon to Robert E. Lee to actor David Caruso.

Just a casual, not a serious, biographical study of noted lives will show any number of people who started careers with fantastic achievements and fizzled if not cataclysmically crashed and burned, personally, professionally, or both. HOW does Ray consistently keep up a high quality of creative work, life achievements, and remaining just a darn nice guy over decades? We are talking a fantastically special phenomenon here! He can perhaps be compared to Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Edison, and not too many others.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So true, Dandy, so true. I think of RB as on the same level as Dickens or Twain. And he is of our era!

I think that sheer pure LOVE flows through him more beautifully, more readily than it flows through most humans--and its flow generates achievements and widely ranging interests and that "darn nice guy" phenomenon you mention.

He is such a joy. To read, to know, to love back!

We, the lucky ones who know what we have here, must spread the word!

Posts: 52 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: 07 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Braling II...Wow! Angela's own web site. I've marked it in my favorites. Thanks much.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I endeavor to give satisfaction, sir.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I, too, put him on the same level as Dickens or Twain, but look at how they turned out. Both of them, as well as Herman Melville, had disastrous family lives. In Melville's case, that was directly affected by his personality and work, in Dickens's by his personality, in Twain's case it may have been just plain bad luck. Dickens was mentally ill and burned himself out through overwork. Twain lived to be fairly old for his time but became extremely embittered towards the end of his life. Ray just keeps on going and if anything his attitude stays the same or gets better!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He is definitely in a class by himself.

Whew! Thanks, Dandy--I thought we'd have to rename this thread the Angela Keeps On Going siteSmiler

Where oh where shall Patrick post the news of Ray's public appearances???

Posts: 52 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: 07 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lovie, There weren't all that many Angela-related posts were there? We do digress...

posted Hide Post
N.K.,

Ditto. Or "The Sound of Music Keeps on Going" site.

Posts: 194 | Registered: 06 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
u r so forgiven--big time Smiler

(and incidentally, the hills ARE alive with the sound of music...)

posted Hide Post
My books are water; those of the great geniuses are wine--everybody drinks water.
Mark Twain

Ray's are water, too, but of the most rare and delicious variety.

posted Hide Post
I must say, however, I do enjoy these little glimpses of our members' personalities. Ray's admirers (like the man himself) are real folks! That's one of the things I love about this site. I feel a bond with genuine humans in what could otherwise be a world of "cyber-anonymity".

posted Hide Post
quote:
I feel a bond with genuine humans

Did you once know a fellow named Casey? He was about six feet six, a left hander who briefly pitched for the Brooklyn Dodgers, and had wicked stuff - "...a curve, hook, knuckler, slider, and a fast ball that almost went through the catcher's palm. Fantastic. He pitched like nothing human."

I was thinking he might have been from your old neighborhood.

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, old Casey. Sad story. He was returned to Marionettes, Inc. where they removed his brain and turned him into a politician.

posted Hide Post
Braling II, I have also come to value the associations we develop on this board. Feels like family, without all the arguments!

None of us is as alone as we sometimes feel.

And some of the writing in this forum is of a very high caliber.
I especially like posts from you, Braling, and Biplane, and Chapter 31. Newcomers like Robot Lincoln and GirlMontag add much spice to the mix.
Tres eloquent!

I am also in awe of Dandelion's encyclopedic knowledge of everything Ray.

Yet I think that Bradbury's writing IS a varietal of wine, albeit a wine that practically everyone can find wonderfully palatable!

It's DANDELION WINE!!!

Love to you in all you do,
Lovie