Ray Bradbury Forums
THE MAN KEEPS ON GOING

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1001093901/m/2151035561

23 December 2005, 06:35 PM
N. K. Love
THE MAN KEEPS ON GOING
FH451--A question for you below~~

Ok. I spoke with Mr. B. Turns out he has several honorary Ph.D.'s including one most recently bestowed upon him by a university in Scotland.
He just doesn't toot his own horn about it.
I've known people who received honorary doctorates and thereafter referred to themselves as Dr....
Nothing wrong with it. It has been earned.

But what about UCLA? That would make perfect sense.

FH451--If you see this, could you please list the universities from which Ray has honorary degrees?
If UCLA is not on the list, we have some work to do...

Regards to all, and joyous holidays and New Year to you.
NKLove
05 February 2006, 08:57 AM
The Lake
BRADBURY, THE ACTIVIST!!!

This new editorial from the LA Times is amazing for a number of reasons. It's timely, right, and has the remarkable vision of RB himself. Ray continues to raise the bar, challenge the status quo, and push for the greater good.

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/sunday/commentary/l...-home-sunday-opinion
05 February 2006, 08:05 PM
N. K. Love
Thanks for calling this to our attention, Lake.

Bradbury has always been in the avant garde.

This reminds me of a scenario I experienced years ago--I was sitting at a restaurant in DisneyWorld--an English lady nearby remarked wistfully to her husband and all else who would hear: "I wish Walt Disney had designed the WHOLE WORLD!"

Everyone laughed and agreed.

I'd suggest an upgrade to her idea--What if Walt Disney designed the whole world, and RAY BRADBURY ran it?!?!
06 February 2006, 01:02 AM
dandelion
More proof that he does more by himself than any one of us can hope to keep track of! Thank goodness for so many great fans!
06 February 2006, 06:02 AM
The Lake
N.K. and Dandelion,

Wonderful anecdote, N.K.! Disney and Bradbury in charge...what a terrific idea.

And, yes, Dandelion, RB keeps his fans humble with his drive and creativity. We have a lot to live up to.

Thanks for responding. Sometimes this board seems to be curling up and getting pretty dry around the edges. I hope some of the lurkers, old and new, will speak up and help breathe back some new life.
06 February 2006, 07:04 AM
Braling II
Lake,
Thanks for the article! I'm glad to see Mr. B is still concerned about and active in civic/community politics, as well as writing, lectures, book signings, etc!
As to the monorail he promotes, I agree. BART, the (San Francisco)Bay Area system works well, though it isn't quite extensive or attractive enough for reasons I could go into if asked. The Seattle monorail is actually left over from the 1962 World's Fair (I was there!) and works well. Generally, though, the public transportation system in the Seattle area is very good (downtown Business area buses are even free); but, like other older, densely-populated metropolitan areas, it's existed long before automobiles were invented. L.A. and most of urban and suburban California spread out faster than public transportation could keep pace.
Most folks go many miles from home to do anything; work, school, shopping, church, etc...
06 February 2006, 08:42 AM
The Lake
I've only been on the subways in NYC and the monorail (DART) in
Dublin. Definitely prefer the monorail!

Speaking of which, wasn't Montag in a subway in the novel F451 and on a monorail in the movie version?
06 February 2006, 08:52 AM
fjp451
Yes, and the Charlie Rose interview never took off either. Did it?
06 February 2006, 09:10 AM
The Lake
fjp451,

You're right. Many of us did try, again and again.

You'd think with all the morgue and medium shows on tv that pander to the lowest common denominator by continually showing bodies and gruesome violence against men, women, and children on camera, that SOMEONE out there in tv land would be hungry to have Ray Bradbury on their talk show. SOMEONE would be hungry for a magical, direct, and funny conversation with a visionary.

Enough of James Frey. Enough of chick lit.
07 February 2006, 12:42 AM
fanboy
My mom has been saying the same thing as Ray for years. She still,lives in L.A., where I grew up.

There is a great interview with Ray from years ago that was done for a local public TV station, KTEH out of San Jose. It was a half hour show called "Malone" after the name of the interviewer. Ray talked about remembering being a baby, and other things. I should look on their site, maybe it's available on video. Malone interviewed a lot of interesting people, Leonard Nimoy and John Lee Hooker among them.
10 February 2006, 05:34 AM
rocket
Hi Patrick,

Just wanted to know if Mr. B. received my magic coin, and what he thought. By the way, I am thinking of applying for your job when you retire. Thanks for all you do!
quote:
Originally posted by FH 451:
HELLO ALL,

WELL, IT'S 6 YEARS AGO, TODAY, THAT RAY BRADBURY, HAD HIS STOKE.

HE KEEPS GOING AND GOING AND GOING!
LAST NIGHT HE HAD A LECTURE/SIGNING AT THE WOODLAND HILLS LIB.

TONIGHT HE'S GOING TO HIS PLAY, AND TOMORROW NIGHT, SATURDAY, AND SO ON AND SO ON.

SOMETHING TO BE SAID!

HE'S WEARING ME OUT.

TAKE CARE
PATRICK

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com
11 February 2006, 07:00 AM
The Lake
Found these two letters to the editor in the LA Times that respond to RB's editorial that I posted a few days ago:

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/california/la-...dlines-pe-california

Lake
11 February 2006, 08:49 AM
pterran
Good to see Ray's still in the fray but from what I've read, I'll have to come down on the side of the letter writer who claims a monorail won't work. I understand the monorail in Seattle was ghastly expensive and there's no reason to think a monorail system in LA will somehow be immune to the curse of every other municipal project: cost and time over-runs, miles of red-tape, and corruption. Still, LA has a problem that needs to be solved and Ray's put his idea out on the table. Let battle of ideas rage!
11 February 2006, 10:27 AM
dandelion
The Seattle monorail suffered some sort of accident recently but I'm not sure of the cause.
12 February 2006, 10:49 AM
Robert M Blevins
There is a particular spot on the monorail line where the two lines go around a curve. Two trains run all the time, going opposite directions, and the trains are NEVER supposed to pass each other at that spot.

They did. They sideswiped. Monorail is still down.

The monorail is NO GOOD as public transportation option. It was built for the World's Fair in Seattle almost fifty years ago. It only goes to one place and back, and has never been more than a tourist stop in Seattle. Recently, Seattle voters turned down a proposal to expand the monorail lines. They knew better... Wink