Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    HADRON FIRES-UP
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HADRON FIRES-UP
 Login/Join

posted
Those who have been following the biggest machine ever created may want to discuss this project. Last couple days it was re-started after last year when a 80 ton magnet 'broke' after some faulty electrical wiring connection.

Ultimately, the scientists hope to discover at least 5 additional dimensions. And no one knows what that means. Ultimately, there are things they hope to find that boggle the imagination: like something on the order of an alternate universe.
http://www.comcast.net/article...SCI.Big.Bang.Machine

Posts: 162 | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Salamander:
Ultimately, there are things they hope to find that boggle the imagination: like something on the order of an alternate universe.

Ooh! I read all about one of them universes in The Talisman, by Peter Straub & Steve King. They call it The Territories.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The HADRON COLLIDER hopes to discover a number of unknown dimensions. This thing about the alternate universe is probably the most disturbing. It's something on the order of a experiencing a total collapse of everything we know as personal reality, if such a thing is found. In essence, these scientists who put together Hadron, including the main fellow, an atheist of all things, Peter Higgs, hope to not only find the HIGGS-BOSON particle (dubbed the God-Particle and this term hated by the atheist inventor), but this: the scientists say that all we see is but a reflection of the true identity of our reality.

So are they trying to pierce into the realms of what we would call Heaven? Or Hell? I recall several passages in scripture where it says man will build on such knowledge that mankind nearly touches the realm of the magnificent place of God. But God will swipe man down because of his self arrogance.

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Salamander:
Ultimately, the scientists hope to discover at least 5 additional dimensions. And no one knows what that means.

At least 50 dimensions of Science Fiction!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by embroiderer:
...So are they trying to pierce into the realms of what we would call Heaven? Or Hell?...

No, that's what people are trying to do over in the Religion 101 thread! The Hadron collider folks are trying to validate (or invalidate) a rational, scientific hypothesis.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
quote:
...So are they trying to pierce into the realms of what we would call Heaven? Or Hell?...

No, that's what people are trying to do over in the Religion 101 thread! The Hadron collider folks are trying to validate (or invalidate) a rational, scientific hypothesis.

Philnic, just because you do not see or experience or understand, for instance, the reality of a living Christ, why in a round about way ridicule a believer by saying they are trying to validate a rational hypothesis? You may not intentional be doing that, but I can experience and understand the reality that the Apostles talked about in scripture and believers thru the centuries have found. Is this beyond rational scientific hypothesis? The Hadron has a specific number of plans ahead, one is to delve into multiple dimensions, and the idea that the Higgs-Boson particle is dubbed the God Particle, leaves one to think about the absolutely unknown chart it is trying to discover scientifically speaking.

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:

The problem with non-believers is that they don't quite understand that a Christian sees the hand of God in everything. They see how magnificent God works even in a droplet of water.

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
E: "...a Christian sees the hand of God in everything. They see how magnificent God works even in a droplet of water."
---------
Interesting!
I was up very early this morning. The sun was just about to rise. Frost thickly covered "everything." My breath was steaming as I walked outside to prepare for my daily sojourn to teach. All gifts!!

A thought ~ If we have the treasures of faith, hope, and love, other possessions seem far less significant.

"Thanksgiving" is a good word for everyday! Best wishes to all on board from the far NE!
f

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fjp451,

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, fjp451!

The Hadron is of course going into uncharted territories of scientific discovery, but it also will shake up religious principles as well. The fact that scientists are looking for something called the God Particle, is in itself intriguing. Is it a particle that ultimately describes God? And what better invention to be made by no other than an atheist, who likely is ultimately on the quest to inadvertently demonstrate in some incredibly complex way, that there is only science, and no God.

Hopefully, what the Collider will provide are insights into the majesty of the universe and our place in it. The Christians will see what was just noted as the hand of God as well as the enlightenment of the human existence. Others will just see the advancement of science enlightening the human existence.

Posts: 384 | Location: Anaheim, CA. | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Always interesting to read what gets posted on the anniversary of the deaths of J.F.K, C.S. Lewis, & Aldous Huxley.

This may have come up before, but isn't there a play about these three?

I know there's the book "Between Heaven & Hell", which I have yet to read, but I think there may be a play...

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rubs with fame:
I returned a silver PT109 cuff link to RFK that had dropped loose from his sleeve while he was standing on the back seat of a black Chevrolet convertible Impala. His hand shaking with kids from my school was on a hot fall day. He did not realize it had fallen onto the cover that secured the convertible roof. He thanked me in that famous Kennedy New England drawl. I was probably about 11yrs. old. http://www.watertowndailytimes...tNo=301049965&Ref=AR

JFK and I share the same BD.

JFK, CSL, ALH all with 11/22 departures. Curious!

(How goes things, BRII!?)

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hope the HADRON doesn't turn into a Turkey!!

Happy Thanksgiving
to ALL!!!

Posts: 162 | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Higgs-Boson is called the God particle in the same way that a lamb is called a "baa-lamb", or a cow is called a "moo-cow". It's not a proper term, people! It's a nickname given to it by people who don't care to understand what it actually is.

"Look at the lovely god particle, isn't he cute..."

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Knox:
Philnic, just because you do not see or experience or understand, for instance, the reality of a living Christ, why in a round about way ridicule a believer by saying they are trying to validate a rational hypothesis?...

Hello, Mr Knox. Read it again: there was no ridicule. The Hadron Collider people ARE trying to validate (or invalidate) a rational hypothesis. Stating a fact is not ridicule.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
quote:
...The problem with non-believers is that they don't quite understand that a Christian sees the hand of God in everything. They see how magnificent God works even in a droplet of water.

Au contraire, I DO understand that a Christian sees the hand of God in (etc etc). I also understand that some people believe in astrology, out-of-body experiences, the tooth-fairy, and the grinch that stole Christmas.

- Phil