Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Rats! I hate to see the back of such interesting folks as philnic and The Lake! I hope they reconsider and return to play with us in our sandbox here.
One could say that Ray's Legacy includes folks who, having enjoyed his books and his talks; are inspired to think more, love Life more, and enjoy people more. I know that's how I feel.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup. [grasstains hangs head and kicks dirt]

I hate to see them go. Come back and we'll play statues.

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Has the internet become like a book, with all of its writings?

"Colored people don't like 'Little Black Sambo'. Burn it. White people don't feel good about 'Uncle Tom's Cabin'. Burn it. Someone's written a book on tobacco and cancer of the lungs? The cigarette people are weeping? Burn the book. Serenity, Montag. Peace, Montag. Take your fight outside. Better yet, into the incinerator. Funerals are unhappy and pagan? Eliminate them, too."

Captain Beatty, from Fahrenheit 451

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A few years back, I too took a hiatus due to some (what I felt were) very unsavory translations having nothing to do with RB. It was a while before I thought it appropriate to return. I hope that is the case with Phil and Lake. They always conducted themselves with the proper decorum and consideration of all who visited, regularly and randomly.

Yes, we all have rights to express freely! Each of us also has a responsibility to express (here, in this case) thoughtfully. I am not in disagreement of the sacredness of life, having been near the first breath of new life and the extinguishing of its final flickering flame. But, here is where we should remain on board the Ray Bradbury train of thought.

It is unfortunate that two long time fans have felt pinched a bit too hard. (I did not see the posted graphics, but question if this forum was the place for such discussion. I am sure other locales serve that purpose much better.)

I appreciate the exchanges Phil and Lake have shared with all of us. We hope there will be a time that seems proper to dial us up again...

"Screen doors banged one after the other, a sunset volley, along the street."

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Talking about a hiatus, where's Mr. Dark been hiding? He's become like that spring robin. You wait a long time to see him again once he's left.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
People may need a break, but NO ONE wants to see a permanent break from such vital presences on the board!

I'd like to point out to EVERYBODY who threatened to leave, on or off the board, or who thought of leaving and didn't say it, that there is an "ignore list" where you can place posters you don't like--presumably NEVER to see their offerings again!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dandelion,

Posts: 7300 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is truly and genuinely unfortunate that simple consideration is such a valuable commodity these days ~heavy sigh~.

philnic and the lake, your wisdom will be missed. Hopefully, that's temporary.

Everyone has their beliefs. The truth of those beliefs will only be proven after your final breath.

Until such time--why not donate to charity? Be a big brother or sister? Volunteer? Practice the tactics of peace? Read and understand Ray Bradbury? After all, life is a metaphor for love. . .

(shuffles off soapbox, switches off light)

Posts: 195 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Where the heck is that "ignore list"? Sign me up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grassy, if you click on the "hide post" on the upper right, it disappears, and you can bring it back by clicking "show post". I think that's what Dandy means.
There probably is something else in the profiles or somewhere for out-and-out ignoring posters, but the other works for me.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, the way to completely ignore EVERYTHING a poster says, is to click on that person's name where it appears to the left of their post, and a series of options about what to do regarding that individual comes up, including Ignore.

Posts: 7300 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
dandelion:
Gee thanks! I decided to test it out on myself. Suddenly, all my posts disappeared. I am now ignoring myself. How do you undo ignoring one's self? [I won't be able to see this post because I'm ignoring myself.]

posted Hide Post
When I get into one of my more stupid moods, I ignore myself. It does wonders for the soul sometimes.

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It looks as if you have to go to the Ignore List in your own profile under your own name and uncheck ignored users. Since you have done this to YOURSELF, however, thereby causing yourself to disappear from your own sight, I will endeavor to do it for you. This illustrates the dangers of ignoring oneself. Bradbury or Richard Matheson or somebody could get a great one out of this!

posted Hide Post
Works like a charm, thanks.

You know, we could be occupied by an invading force of people who ignored us and to them it would seem they were the only ones here. The Volkswagen Bug Lovers Forum could be riding one plain of existence, while the Buffy The Vampire Slayer Forum rides another, then there's Mr. Knox talking to himself on yet another...

================================================

"I don't know anything."

posted Hide Post
I have just become aware of the loss of philnic and The Lake. This is absolutely tragic!

My understanding of Ray Bradbury’s approach to writing is to brighten up the world a little—so it’s a given that there is a dark side. It follows then, that those who read Ray Bradbury, after the initial exposure, do so to experience that bright outlook once again. It seems to me therefore, that there are some very sensitive and perhaps timid people who would be attracted to a message board such as this. There are students, teachers and folks who just want to sit on their porch and take in the night air.

This is a place for comment and ideas, not jabs. This is a place for civilized debate, not bullfights. This is not a place for shock and awe, scolding and belittlement.

I am in total sympathy with philnic and The Lake but hope that, after time, they will reconsider.

I however am going to remain, and hope to continue to be enriched by the board.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post