Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
If Barney had learned the Preamble to the Constitution from "Schoolhouse Rock" like *some* fortunate people, he might be able to say it right!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chap, you're close. Since nobody else seems interested, I'll divulge.
What's unique about that scene is: the entire movie is filmed in black-and-white, but, when Leo shoots himself (there's a big fake hand pointing the gun at the camera), there's one frame of bright red! (At least I think it's only one frame.)

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can just see the conversation now:

HITCHCOCK: We only need a single frame of red.

PENNY-PINCHING STUDIO EXEC: But, Hitch, that means we have to print the whole reel on color stock.

HITCHOCK: We could save money by hand-painting that one frame on every print of the film.

PENNY-PINCHER: I should cost that out.

HITCHCOCK: While you're at it, price up a giant wooden hand. Of course, it will have to rotate while holding a giant revolver.

PENNY-PINCHER: Whaaa?

HITCHCOCK: And have I shown you those storyboards that Dali sent over?

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
One of my all-time favourite episodes is the one in which Barney tries to recite the Constitution's Preamble from memory!

Absolute classic! When I meet Don Knotts a few years ago, that was what I asked him to do. He said, "I don't think I can do that anymore." Wonderful comedian.

You know, most of those types of scenes where Barney is doing something like that were actually written (improvised) by Don, although he was not credited. Nearly all the scenes where Andy and Barney are just sitting on the porch talking (you can tell these scenes because they don't actually have anything to do with the storyline) were written by Andy and Don. They were so perfect together.

Barney Fife: [while relaxing on the front porch after Sunday dinner] You know what I think I'm gonna do?
Andy Taylor: What?
Barney Fife: I'm gonna go home, have me a little nap, and then go over to Thelma Lou's and watch a little TV.
Andy Taylor: Mmm-hmm.
Barney Fife: Yeah, I believe that's what I'll do. Go home... have a nap... and then over to Thelma Lou's for TV.
Andy Taylor: Mmm.
Barney Fife: Yep, that's the plan. Home... nap... then...
Malcolm Tucker: [interrupting] For the love of Mike do it!
[shouts]
Malcolm Tucker: Do it! Just do it! Go take a nap, go to Thelma Lou's for TV, just do it!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post