Find
Notify
Tools

Why?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grasstains:
You admit that as if it's a bad thing, contradicting yourself, when we both know it's just what us open-minded fuzzy-headed free-thinking lefties do. Don't ever change. No, keep changing, and questioning the changes.

Thank the gods I have a fellow left-winger here! Gives me a peace of mind.

"Assuming either the Left Wing or the Right Wing gained control of the country, it would probably fly around in circles."
- Pat Paulsen

"Question Everything"
- grass and me

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you know, as ultra-liberal as I am on most issues (politics/religion/social thingys), there is one issue toward which I am arch-conservative: abortion! Interesting, is it not?

Remember that Roman Catholic priest that killed that abortion dottore in the deep south some years back? At the time (I was a bit more conservative then), I thought not only should they not convict him, they should give him a medal for valour!

Sorry, I have no room for those who would kill the helpless. That's probably my biggest problem with the Democrats, generally speaking. Truth be told, I'm an independent - and extremely unorthodox!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Uh-oh, Doug's opened up a whole new can of worms!

Worms is a good word. Also the name of a town in Germany.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Me too!!! About abortion, that is. I kinda go back and forth on the death penalty. Carey Stayner (Yosemite murderer), I would have killed him with my bare hands... or a blow torch... or paint remover. And then felt all yucky inside afterward. That's one of my many faults. I lack compassion for those I consider evil. His Holiness teaches us otherwise.

================================================

"Kind and giving, all the rest is treason."

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would have killed him with a blow torch...

Now you've gone and reminded me of that dreadful Hostel. It took me weeks to get that film out of my mind.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
I kinda go back and forth on the death penalty.

Not me - how is it right to kill someone to show that killing is wrong!?

Besides, were it me on the Green Mile (quit smiling, Mr Knox), I would rather be killed quick than hang around for a few decades in a tiny cell. The punishment would be much worse, I should think.

And no chance of parole for them either!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
I don't know about "Death Row", but what with prisoners having TV, weight rooms and other recreation/exercise, good food prepared in accordance with their religious beliefs, libraries, conjugal visits, and even the internet, it's hardly punishment. Did you know some of those pesky telemarketers are inmates?
Many on "the outside" who have the freedom to move about don't, preferring to sit in front of the telly or computers all day. Mind you, knowing you can't leave would be torture for many of us. Then, too, there's the molestation thing...But I think guys like Manson have it pretty soft in the U.S. penal system.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
I don't know about "Death Row", but what with prisoners having TV, weight rooms and other recreation/exercise, good food prepared in accordance with their religious beliefs, libraries, conjugal visits, and even the internet, it's hardly punishment. But I think guys like Manson have it pretty soft in the U.S. penal system.

I know - that's one of the things I would sort out as well were I in charge.

One small cell, no TV, no rec room, no good food (make 'em eat haggis!), no visitors, and worst of all, no libraries! Furthermore, they would have to work at manual labour twelve hours a day (there's your exercise, murderer!).

After just a short time on this schedule, they would be begging to die!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Hoot, Mon! Let's nae be disparagin' haggis, noo!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
Hoot, Mon! Let's nae be disparagin' haggis, noo!

Chitterlins, then!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
quote:
I kinda go back and forth on the death penalty.

Not me - how is it right to kill someone to show that killing is wrong!?

Then in what way should the abortion doctor's killer be rewarded? For killing a fully-formed being rather than a partially-formed one?

Posts: 7302 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hate explaining myself. I don't condone murder, of any kind, but at times find it difficult to contain my rage towards people/monsters such as Mr. Stayner. That rage subsides. The abortion doctors I have no anger towards and I would be more inclined to protect them than harm them. I do NOT feel the same way towards the doctors as Doug does [Grass slowly backs away from Doug] and that requires a lengthy explaination in itself, one I'm sure nobody would want to read about and one I'm not able to get into at the moment, but I do know in my heart that infanticide is wrong, FOR ME. Just me. Everybodyelse can kill all the babies they want... in the end, they will answer for it.

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
Then in what way should the abortion doctor's killer be rewarded? For killing a fully-formed being rather than a partially-formed one?

As I said, I have liberaled-up on the issue since then - this was twenty years ago.

I no longer believe that the shooter of the abortion "doctor" should be rewarded. Alas, he should be jailed.

Nor would I say that the abortion "doctor" was fully formed. He lacked the most important "human" characteristic: a conscience!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
I hate explaining myself. I don't condone murder, of any kind, but at times find it difficult to contain my rage towards people/monsters such as Mr. Stayner. That rage subsides.

I would agree with that.

quote:
The abortion doctors I have no anger towards and I would be more inclined to protect them than harm them. I do NOT feel the same way towards the doctors as Doug does [Grass slowly backs away from Doug]...

Don't worry about me - I have no explosives on my person.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
"Doctors"???

"I will prescribe regimens for the good of my patients according to my ability and my judgment and never do harm to anyone.

To please no one will I prescribe a deadly drug nor give advice which may cause his death.

Nor will I give a woman a pessary to procure abortion."

-From the Hippocratic Oath, the whole of which may be read here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippocratic_Oath