Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Bradburyesque
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 19

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bradburyesque
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
The opening titles of Tobe Hooper's THE FUNHOUSE. You would probably like to stop at the 02:47 mark.

I deleted the dead link. This one should work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...3G5w&feature=related

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Freeleigh,

There were faces with echoes in them. Echoes of hikes on ravine trails...

Posts: 9 | Location: Buffalo, NY | Registered: 07 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Illustration of Ray's observation that you don't have to burn books, just get people not to read them.

Posts: 7303 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can call Brodart for a first-aid kit for books. Don't know about Jersey Shore, since I'm not television connected. Guess I'm glad.

I think Mr. Andre Gregory is Bradburyesque:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOZ0l-uir6s

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This story is so Bradburyesque I had to take another look, with an "am I sure Ray Bradbury didn't write this?" feeling.

(Available online http://www.lexal.net/scifi/sci...ive/young/index.html )

"Thirty Days Had September" by Robert F. Young.
Made me cry. More than once.

And when it didn't, then crying would have brought relief, when my heart, my throat and even my eyes ached, like James Blish described in another phenomenal science fiction short story, "Common TIme": "the slight movement of his eyebrows and the wrinkles forming in his forehead, the contractions of the small muscles which stop the flow of tears only to make grief patent on the rest of the face."

There is sweetness and love in it, and societal insight, and pain.
And a schoolteacher, even!

Told you I'd get back to you with more stories.

Posts: 152 | Location: Formerly SacraDemento, California | Registered: 23 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bradburyesque indeed, dragonfly. Good find! I have seen some of Young's short stories before, but had largely forgotten about him. He wrote a ton of short stories for many of the same markets as Bradbury, but no much remains in print. (Some novels, too, which have fared slightly better.)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
Illustration of Ray's observation that you don't have to burn books, just get people not to read them.

*Likes this*

I was also thinking that in a multimedia society, we have way more equivalents of book-burning.

Making laws against saying that apples are contaminated with Alar, or the FDA allows pus and tuberculosis in cow's milk. SOPA and internet gag laws. Possible new laws that can make you considered, and treated as, a terrorist if you speak out against animal abuse. The internet somehow being gagged so that if you type in "best motorcycle/auto/catastrophic medical insurance", you can't get *any* reviews or comparisons. Gag laws. Monopolies. The way to control people - even intelligent people - is to restrict what information gets to them.

Posts: 152 | Location: Formerly SacraDemento, California | Registered: 23 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The other day I saw this called "web echo chamber."

Posts: 7303 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The next Banned Books Week isn't until next October (Mmmmmm..... October). But re-read the entire Harry Potter series anyway; don't wait!

posted Hide Post
quote:

I have no idea what "Jersey Shore" is about. Nor have I ever seen a Brady Bunch, Partridge Family, Hawaii 5-0, or Desperate Housewives, or a whole lot of others.

(I did go out of my way to watch Barney once so I could at least see what adults were hating. My answer? If you hate Barney, don't ****in' WATCH Barney! Duh.)

Summary: There are some people who are not rigid anti-television nuts who still don't watch much TV. Who read. And who get tired of people assuming that we even know what these "well-known" shows are about!)

posted Hide Post
I find I know what a lot of shows are about even if I've never seen them. Even if you never watch TV, it's hard to avoid references in other media.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dragonfly:
The way to control people - even intelligent people - is to restrict what information gets to them.

Well, I don't want to post any links so as not to seem to be endorsing or promoting anything, but rumors abound that cures to all ills known to man exist, including a cancer cure which has been known for over 30 years and suppressed by established medicine.

posted Hide Post

Posts: 2804 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I had a roommate say "I'm really an Oscar [Whosislastname]." I had to ask what she meant. She meant Oscar on the Odd Couple.

I showed a gentleman friend a comic - I love the "funnies" - and said I didn't get it; was it a pun? But hey, I'm really good at puns, so that doesn't make sense either. He said, "Of course you don't get it; they're referring to a TV show."

Don't wait for Banned Books Week -- re-read the entire Harry Potter series now!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dragonfly:
Well, I had a roommate say "I'm really an Oscar [Whosislastname]." I had to ask what she meant. She meant Oscar on the Odd Couple.

So your roommate was an Oscar Madison. Were you a Felix Unger? "Oh Oscar, Oscar, Oscar!" (When I was researching my book one source had a habit of stretching the truth. His name happened to be Oscar so I had occasion to say that more than once. Thank God for the internet. I finally got to post on an Odd Couple board and learn the real story of "Babe Ruth and the kid," which the show assumed viewers just knew. I always assumed the poor child died and was happy to learn otherwise.)

Just want to state I feel a hell of a lot less guilty for my vast range of TV viewing having learned the obscene amount of movies Ray took in! I always considered it helped my writing and this just vindicates it.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, I don't want to post any links so as not to seem to be endorsing or promoting anything, but rumors abound that cures to all ills known to man exist, including a cancer cure which has been known for over 30 years and suppressed by established medicine.

More than one even - hydrogen peroxide and organic carrot juice will kill cancer.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post