Ray Bradbury Forums
Bradburyesque

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1001093901/m/1581025663

24 March 2008, 12:58 AM
dandelion
Bradburyesque
Post here your items just begging to be classified as Bradburyesque. This dancing pig from 1907 France has my vote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2tP9s8y2Ic

Bradburyesque right down to the music, and the grotesquely comic becoming downright scary at the end. Reverse "Skeleton," anyone? (This version, two minutes and 33 seconds of a 4-minute film, is edited to eliminate the cross-dressing part--the long-after-midnight pig?)

There's a current commercial which opens with an amusement park and other objects waking up by themselves--main characters are small robots--I'd love to post but can't for the life of me think what product or service it advertises.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dandelion,
24 March 2008, 11:12 AM
Doug Spaulding
Davis Grubb's wonderful novel The Night of the Hunter.

"Live Forever!"
24 March 2008, 11:34 AM
Phil Knox
The movie, however, was written afresh by Charles Laughton. Script and story.

24 March 2008, 01:01 PM
Doug Spaulding
Indeed.

It's one of my favourite fillums - a rare case of being even better than the fine novel!

That incredible picture was dismissed by critics and audiences at the time, causing Laughton to never direct another movie.

If only he had been appreciated at the time, we might have had much more from him as director. Sad.

"Live Forever!"
24 March 2008, 01:01 PM
Doug Spaulding
Afresh is a good word.

"Live Forever!"
24 March 2008, 07:58 PM
oz-crumley
So is fillum - my grandmother says it in conversation all the time.
25 March 2008, 12:17 AM
dandelion
So are bamboozle, bumbershoot, and brouhaha.

The robot ad is for solar power from G. E., but it must be so new it's not on either their corporate or their ecoimagination website.
25 March 2008, 06:30 AM
Blind Henry
Folks,

I think that many Tim Burton movies are Bradburyesque. Burton loves Halloween (The Nightmare Before Christmas / Sleepy Hallow) and Poe and he seems to love telling strange tales of fantasy (Edward Scissorhands). Burton's movie (Big Fish) might be his most Bradburyesque film and is quite good.

Best wishes.

BH
25 March 2008, 06:58 AM
Doug Spaulding
quote:
Originally posted by Blind Henry:
Folks,

I think that many Tim Burton movies are Bradburyesque. Burton's movie (Big Fish) might be his most Bradburyesque film and is quite good.

Very much so. Most all his fillums are Bradburyesque.

"Live Forever!"
25 March 2008, 06:58 AM
Doug Spaulding
Bradburyesque is a good word.

"Live Forever!"
26 March 2008, 03:47 PM
philnic
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
The robot ad is for solar power from G. E., but it must be so new it's not on either their corporate or their ecoimagination website.

Here it is:
http://gecorp.edgeboss.net/download/gecorp/eti/gecom/ou...n/video/rays_001.m4v

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter
26 March 2008, 03:50 PM
philnic
Here's something Bradburyesque...but I'm not going to tell you why. Not yet, anyhow. Any guesses?

Mystery Bradburyesque Picture

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter
26 March 2008, 05:07 PM
Braling II
That's not O'Connell Bridge, now is it?
26 March 2008, 09:30 PM
dandelion
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:

Here it is:
http://gecorp.edgeboss.net/download/gecorp/eti/gecom/ou...n/video/rays_001.m4v

Phil! I knew someone would find it, but who'd have thought?
27 March 2008, 01:39 AM
philnic
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
That's not O'Connell Bridge, now is it?

To be sure, to be sure.

And the man in blue, sitting in centre frame at the centre of the bridge?

- Phil