Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Ray's Gift
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ray's Gift
 Login/Join

posted
On the one occasion I met Ray Bradbury, I had just one question to ask him. The response I recieved was wonderful, applies to all writers, and is one I will never forget.

I asked Mr. Bradbury what he would want his readers to take with them after reading one of his stories.

His reply was like this (I paraphrase, as I didn't have a recorder with me).
"A writer's work is intrepreted by his readers. What you take with you after reading one of my stories is what influenced you most in the story. Once I write a story, it doesn't belong to me anymore."

Profound and sooo true!n Thanks for the gift Ray!

Posts: 2 | Registered: 23 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
His gift is, he's, (sniff, sniff)...THE BESTEST AUTHOR IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD! *Sniff, sniff, choke.*

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kathleen/Dandelion::::

I feel so gosh darn blessed to have an author alive...that, if I lived at any other time... would without question say, "Wow! to be alive when Ray Bradbury was alive, to meet him, to know that he was alive while I was... how great that would be".

And, LO! It's true!!! My favorite author ! It's all some magnificent blessing! How else can you explain it?

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, yes, and yes! For those who may feel their toes stepped on when a good old fashioned soaping is in line, my thoughts: Take your toys and go home and let your mom and dad complain that we who object are the ones who are clueless!" (If that makes them feel any better.)

For an author to reach out to his fans, youth, and the human race in the manner in which Mr. Bradbury has done for 60+ years, I say give him his dues. Every accolade he receives is earned and worthy many times over. For those who have read a book or two and feel they are now allowed to be his worst critics, I say read F451 two or three more times and you may finally get some of the message.

And then read Martian Chronicles some night, late, or Something Wicked some morning, very early, and wait for the footsteps of the characters to be heard on your front porch. If you do hear a board creak, you will know the knock at your door is just moments away.

How about Dandelion Wine? Read it again...again, or better yet, Drink it!! (Ah, scraped knees, grass stains, apple trees, hot summer suns, and pure wonder!) Don't get it?? Didn't you have a childhood or friends who left or family members who died?

No, you say! Well, "now" I know why you are so down on Mr. Bradbury. Still, don't you think coming onto a public site dedicated to the lifework of one of the most prolific writers of ALL times should make you think twice about word choice and slanderous remarks. OK...argue, challenge, dislike, question, or hate a story if you so desire. I have no problem with that, but keep your personal vendettas at bay.

For you folks who have had the privilege to meet Mr. B., shake a hand, or give a hug, do you realize you will "live forever" with him? Magnificent! I have not had that honor - distance, logistics, schedules... Geez! No good excuse!

Over the years I have been fortunate to have received occasional notes and his always humorous cards, as I did just last night. It meant much to my family, not just me! (*Nard, it was a follow up to the e-mail I sent you, "Dream On!") It was not a big thing, nor does it make me an RB expert (far from it, just a fan!) I leave that to Dandy, Nard, and Mr. D, and the rest.

However it really strikes a cord with what Kathleen originally posted here. She has it: "A Gift" that we can all open, share, and be thankful that he is in our presence at this time, in this place, and for us!

So to those who scream censorship and 2nd Amendment (as in some recent posts concerning the extremely rare deletion), maybe you "still" don't get it. What can I say? Maybe - "Go home, and take your toys with you!"

"Live Forever!" A perfect philosophical "or" spiritual aspiration with which to begin each new day.

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 01-30-2003).]

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
fjpalumbo: Amen to your words. Although I must say, I love Bradbury, I'm a great fan, he has touched my life in a powerful way . . . but I'm not yet an expert. I'm still working on it. I have not yet read his modern works (shame on me) and am working on re-reading much of the earlier stuff that so changed my life. I am also not well-versed in the scope of his works as is seen in Dandelion and some of the other entries at this site. But I do love him and his work, and slander, vulgarity and ignorant attacks hurt me personally as they would if he were my spiritual mentor.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bravo! Am in agreement with all the above postings...

Mr. Dark:
I heartily agree with you here...on the censorship .... John Adams wrote that very thing...about where you draw the line on freedom of speech. I have to locate it again ...and post it. There is a line drawn...but today...it has been all but forgotten........

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 02-17-2003).]

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard: Don't sweat it, but if you can find the quote you referenced, I think I'd enjoy reading it.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't sweat it? What kind of thuggish language is this? :P

Posts: 33 | Location: Norway | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A ' Gift ' is incomprehensible !
Beyond words. It is at home with the wearer of such....and awe to the neighbor. It is God's way of explaining Himself....but not necesarily interpreted that way....

Let us enjoy the time Ray is with us....enjoy his life, his passion, his love for each hearer.....

Make the most of the opportunity to let him know ...we love him....that we love him very much....

posted Hide Post
I am just a young pup to the ray bradbury scene. I am a whopping 17 years old. I tell you soulfully that if given the chance I would give my first born child to this wonderful man. I would gladly give up a kidney or anything to aid him. I am so touched by his works. I feel like I can escape into his books and for a brief time the preasures of my daily life are lifted from my shoulders. I thank ray from the bottom of my heart. Love Hag the poet

Posts: 6 | Location: festus, mo, 63028 | Registered: 22 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
poeticvampire03:
It seems to me a bit of Ol' Mr. Jonas, Col. Freeleigh, and Grandfather Spaulding has touch your soul! Pass it on.

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Dark:::::
Per that quote on John Adams posted few above, in February!!!.......I actually located the book...now locating the passage should be forthcoming........

posted Hide Post
poeticvampire03: He struck me the same way. I am not generous enough to spare a kidney (who knows when I'll need my spare at my age!); but I read F451 in 9th grade (1969) and it changed my life. F451 led me on a journey of ideas that continues on to this day at the ripe old age of 47! Be sure to keep reading his works, and then allow yourself to go on to SciFi, fantasy, literature, philosophy, psychology, theology, history, mythology, scriptures of the major religions, etc., etc., etc. There need be no end to learning or the excitement that goes with it.

In ideas we find depth and life (well, a little love isn't bad, either!).

Nard: I'll look forward to it. Also, I checked out your web site. I had trouble opening it, but I think it was a server/connection problem, because when I went back to it, it was fine. Very cool.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Dark (edited 04-24-2003).]

posted Hide Post
Ray's pearls of wisdom lurking inside each story are indeed a gift that keeps on giving.

Sometimes when I come here, I feel like I'm riding the SWTWC carousel backward and forward in time, with many of you, to a place that neutralizes age boundries and freezes time. That's Ray's gift. A grateful student like poeticvampire03 feels the pressures of her life lifted from her shoulders at the ripe age of seventeen and Mr. Dark, with 47 years of wisdom,longs for a few spins in reverse himself. But somehow, they connect agelessly through Ray's gift.

Generation gaps diminish with each spin around, enticing us to visit every side show of Ray's carnival.

It's apparent in the dynamics of Nard's unique art showcase, where he creates something profound from a printer's remnants; like Ray's magic, created from the artful use of the same words each of us has access to. That's Ray's gift.

It shines through the insights of devotees like fjpalumbo, Dandelion and others that come here, just to bathe and bask in the gift.

Posts: 118 | Location: Gulfport. MS | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Dark:::
Yep! I've had a few complaints about opening the Website from others, too.... so will be working on it early next week to make it easier. It's originally designed for 'Internet Explorer', and works best with DSL or Cable. So will have to come up with something for Dial-Ups (you know, the horse and buggy stuff...)
Also adding a couple more Bradbury photos, shift a few things around, add a couple paragraphs here or there, and few more completed pieces of music. That'll do it for awhile... Afterwards, I'll just update once a month, thereabouts...for awhile...
Okay, where did I put that John Adams book again...