Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Help on a Research paper...thoughts?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help on a Research paper...thoughts?
 Login/Join

posted
Hello everyone,
I'm a freshmen college student and I chose to do my term paper on Ray Bradbury and his influence on pop culture. I've covered Fahrenheit 451 and how it has influenced movies, discussions, and stands against book banning. Now, I need a little info help. What do you think is Bradbury's other most important works that have had an influence? Also, who, in particular, do you know that he has influenced (well-known, of course). Any little input or website links will really help. Thanks guys.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 09 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At one time, Martian Chronicles was the top selling sci-fi novel of all time. I'm not sure if that's still true, but I know it's had a big impact on millions of readers. Also don't forget that Ray wrote the screenplay for the movie Moby Dick, and I believe he was nominated for an Academy Award for that. Those are just two examples that come to mind, but I'm sure others will think of more.

[This message has been edited by lmskipper (edited 12-09-2003).]

Posts: 581 | Location: Naperville, IL 60564 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many of the astronauts that went to the moon said they were very influenced by reading Ray Bradbury when they were young. Astronaut Jim Irwin for instance, who drove the 'Rover-car' on the moon, loved Ray's works. See: Many other of the astronauts have become long time friends with Bradbury.

The scope of his influence is so very great, however. Everyone from Steven Spielberg to Ringo Starr, Katherine Hepburn to The Kirk Douglas family, hold him in great respect for the impact he had in their lives.

But his vast influence in the life of the regular library reader, or the high schooler...and all those all around the world who read him in dozens of languages...these cannot be measured...

Also check out: http://raybradburyonline.com/biography.htm

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 12-09-2003).]

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I understand that Stephen Spielberg refers to Ray as "Papa," because he loves him that much and thinks of him as his mentor. Also, I read somewhere that George Lucas heard Ray speak at his high school and was greatly impressed and influenced by the speech. I will get more details on that later today. I have the exact information in my files at school, and I'm at home right now.

Posts: 581 | Location: Naperville, IL 60564 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting. These two greats have been included on many posts commenting on who could best capture RB to the big screen, though neither Speilberg nor Lucas has ever been contracted to take on a classic story for production. (451, IM, MC, DW, or a s.s. worthy of expansion)

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
lmskipper:
So which is it:
'Stephen', or 'Steven' Spielberg?

fjpalumbo:
Nothing may have been contracted, but I understand things were discussed many times and projects 'came close' to beginning....

But I still think Ray's desire to have Frederico Fellini do a film project would have been incredible....Actually, Fellini did agree, as I heard it, to 'someday' do a project, but he passed on too early....
Whereas Sam Peckinpah simply SAT on the the film project of 'Something Wicked This Way Comes'...and then lamented when Ray pulled the option from him....

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I must correct one of my earlier postings on this thread. It turns out it was Gary Kurtz, the producer, and not George Lucas who was once inspired by one of Ray's speeches. My memory is not always as sharp as I would like it to be, and I apologize for any confusion I caused. Anyway, according to the unit on Ray Bradbury in my teacher's edition (McDougall Littell, 7th grade), Gary Kurtz claims "he may never have produced Star Wars and the Empire Strikes Back if he had not heard Bradbury speak in the 1960's."

posted Hide Post
Here's a clip of the premiere opening of the MOBY DICK film.

Catch a 'momentary glimpse' of Bradbury sitting in the back seat (right) in the parade car along with a front seat, standing, John Houston.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5thmq9_R6Q

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post