Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Bookends
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bookends
 Login/Join

posted
I am happy to announce that very soon you will be able to purchase bookends made from wood salvaged from Ray's home. Here is an excerpt from the letter that is going out to members of the Reuse People of America. When the final announcement comes out I will be posting contact and pricing information that will be available to anybody.

"Several key people have been involved in the planning process, including Ray’s close friend, John King Tarpinian, Marsha LuMetta, trustee of the Bradbury estate, Ray’s daughter Alexandra, and Professor Jonathan Eller, Director of the Center for Ray Bradbury Studies at Indiana University. A portion of the sale proceeds will be donated to the Bradbury Center to help fund the re-creation of Ray’s home office, a major milestone in the Center’s ongoing efforts to preserve his works and legacy.

A limited edition of the bookends is scheduled for production in the next few weeks. Each set will be branded with a series number and the icon “451 F” to commemorate Ray’s best-seller, Fahrenheit 451. Also included will be a certificate of authenticity and thank you letter from TRP. Sales and shipping are expected to begin on or before June 1, 2015."

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks interesting,John. Will you be posting pictures and price when ready?

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah...it would be kind of a shame if the icon were printed on either side of the flat end...as one part touches the book and the other is so close to the edge of the shelf it may not be visible. It should appear on the end facing the same way as the book spines if possible.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the announcement, jkt! Can't wait to order up a set or two.

MTD

"I was not born, but instead created. I’m not alive, and yet I exist. I will never die, but some day I will be forgotten, as was the light by which I came into this world." MTD

Posts: 168 | Location: Out of the Attic | Registered: 18 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yesterday I visited my new friends at Reuse People to give the shop manager a signed copy of 451 as a thank you. He told me that a number of people have already visited...wanting to buy bookends. If it was not obvious the limitation will be 451 sets.

I've only posted the upcoming bookends at two places, here and on my friend's blog File770. So somebody does read what I write. :-)

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Such news spreads like wildfire, especially from File770.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When will these bookends be available?

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Indeed! Who...where...when...how...?

jkt ~ The key clues "could be hinted" here - as availability draws very near - in recognition of the many long-time followers who have stayed the course with all that Mr. Bradbury has narrated and inspired.

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In lieu of making a garden ornament of the charred skull of a certain architect, I'd like a set of the bookends.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
When will these bookends be available?

I'm not allowed to say until the 24th, so check back then!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
posted 22 June 2015 12:13 PM

Starting tomorrow, Tuesday the 23rd you will be able to order a limited edition bookend set made from wood taken from Ray's home. They will be numbered, limitation is 451, and will come certificates of authenticity signed by one of Ray's daughters and the President of Reuse People of America.

Go to their website tomorrow: TheReusePeople.org A portion of the proceeds will be going to help restore Ray's office.

John King Tarpinian

ImageCapture.JPG (109 Kb, 12 downloads)

posted Hide Post
Full Frontal of the prototype.

John King Tarpinian

ImagesmallIMG_0782.jpg (248 Kb, 20 downloads)

posted Hide Post
First, let me say that I think it's wonderful that they're offering these bookends as a testament to the affection Ray's fans have for Ray and his work, and the way in which he touched all our lives through his expansive imagination. I've been looking forward to these finally appearing, and was all set to purchase a set myself as a memento of that affection and a nod to the way he touched my life. But I have to say I was hoping for something more aesthetically pleasing and less workmanlike, though perhaps that expectation was unrealistic, given that it's not originating from an artisan outfit. I'll continue to give it some thought, but my enthusiasm was unfortunately damped, not heightened, by the photos (and the price, which seems a bit high). Maybe I just need to continue to treasure my signed Bradbury books and leave it at that.

Posts: 28 | Registered: 19 November 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love the unpretentious of the bookends. This is the floor Ray and his family walked on and that's all it needs to make it special for me. I love it that the tongue-and-grove boards have been left to their own beauty. I bought 2 sets.

Posts: 86 | Location: Bernalillo, NM USA | Registered: 16 July 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You pretty much said it, they are plain, unpretentious, high-priced, and perhaps my signed books should be enough, but I gotta have these!