Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Left and Right
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Left and Right
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Twice that I can name. At least, it was in the TV version of "The Cement Mixer" but I don't know if it's in the printed story. Are there more?

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Off the top of my head - I believe there's a story with this as the title (about the town along a main highway; then the traffic's rerouted); and, of course, "Dandelion Wine" (Great Grandma sings this as she's fixing the roof).

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow. I gotta say you guys are a cast of characters for real! You're nothing like what I thought people who hung out on a Bradbury site would be like. That's cool, though. Bradbury's certainly about surprises. This discussion would be perfect if it gets around to addressing (as it seems about to do) the presence of spirituality in Bradbury's work. For my money outside of Saramago, Kazantzakis, Kundera and Mishima he is the most spiritual of writers. I think it's one of the most neglected aspects of his writing and yet possibly the one that gives his work the most richness. I didn't know Ray used to be an atheist and I admit I'm not entirely clear as to what beliefs Unitarians subscribe too. Can anyone enlighten me on those subjects? One of the fascinating things to me about spirituality in Ray's ("Ray", like I know him) is that though it seems firmly rooted in old school Christianity it remains fluid and inclusive of several different takes on reality itself--and the role that human beings play in perpetuating it's infrastructure. The one constant seems to be that it is not based in fear but in hope. That's something that all that talk about Hell seems to be sorely lacking.

Posts: 35 | Location: Portland, OR, USA | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beirut Wedding:

Thanks for an intelligent inquiry.

_____

Unitarians are an odd lot. Founded in around 1823, they have no professed creed. The congregation, if you were to visit, would comprise of theists ( a belief in 'god' or 'gods'), pagans, nontheists, and all sorts of people of intellectual curiosity. A litle bit of everything all thrown together.
_____

Now Ray had some fundamental Christian learrning when he was growing up, and some great river is flowing thru his writings because of that. But waters are muddied easily in life, and his ability to discern the source of his greatness, tho he attributes to God, is somehow lost in translation, so to speak. God? What God? That would be the reply, most likely. For Ray's God as he perceives him, is unlike the one in scripture.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have my copy of The Martian Chronicles with me here, so I'll paraphrase. At one point during the important conversation between the Captain and Spender, the two address the Martians' religion/philosophy of life. Looking at the carvings (if I recall correctly) representing animals, the Captain remarks: "It looks pagan". Spender replies: "An animal does not ask itself why it lives. The answer is life itself." That stunning reply was a real eye-opener when I first read it age 12. I certainly couldn't reconcile it with the dreary goings-on in church at the time.

Posts: 149 | Location: Ostend, Belgium | Registered: 11 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post