Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Release of Sound of Thunder
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Release of Sound of Thunder
 Login/Join

posted
I just spoke to Ray and asked him about the release date and that many of us were concerned about the date being moved back. He said, and this is coming from the Man Himself, that it will be out in April and that it was coming along quite nicely and that we all should really enjoy it.

He sounded great and shared with me that he was working on a play he started many years ago and a novel that he began some 50 years ago. Unbelievable! Thought that you would all like to know.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
biplane, great to hear it. I've been meaning to sit myself down and send out a note to Mr. B for some kindnesses shared with my classes this winter...so thanks for the info.

Maybe I can take my SF classes to Thunder if it gets released in our area before school lets out.

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Optimism, optimism, take a long drink...Sound of Thunder Review!!

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/09/02/DDGKGEG6T51.DTL

Posts: 194 | Registered: 06 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In today's Chicago Sun-Times, noted film critic Roger Ebert gave the film a luke-warm review, and two (out of a possible four) stars. The headline in the newspaper (missing from the on-line review) said "'Thunder' special effects so bad they're kind of fun." In the review, Mr. Ebert says that the movie "is made with a gee-whiz spirit, and although I cannot endorse it, I can appreciate it." He also comments that while the film may not be a success, "it loves its audience and wants us to have a good time."

All in all, the film definitely sounds like it is worth seeing. I am attaching a link to Mr. Ebert's Sun-Times review. Since this is the first time I have tried this on the "new" Board, I hope it works!

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AI...EVIEWS/50901002/1023

Posts: 2446 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Richard:
That's an appreciative review from Ebert. Especially since he made no attempt to review Wonderful Ice Cream Suit, even tho he was interested in contacting Bradbury while Ray was in Chicago at the time. No returned call at the time, and no review.

However, the review appears to be ONLY on the internet. The Friday 'Sun Times' does NOT carry that review. In fact, a 'one minute review' of movies currently playing, which usually fills most of the page, does not even rate 'Thunder' as if it was a forgotten item.

Furthermore, 'The Chicago Tribune' does NOT even mention it. The GOOD thing is at least there are respectable size ads appearing in both papers, to draw attention. And the theaters 'Thunder' is playing in the Chicago area are actually good theaters, including downtown Chicago.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nard Kordell,

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard, the review is in today's paper version of the Sun-Times. It is on page 66. However, it is odd that it is not in that paper's "Weekend" section, where weekend film reviews normally run.

Posts: 2446 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On Access Holywood last evening they were high-lighting several movies which opened yesterday, one a sci-fi (although I don't recall the name) and nothing was said about A Sound of Thunder.

My wife and I were so tired out last night we decided to wait until this evening to go since we'll be able to take a nap in the afternoon.

I am anxious to see it after reading a couple of reviews of it and noting what fanboy had to say about it under the Resources heading.

One thing about one of the reviews--if I remember correctly--Ray is quoted as to saying he may not see the movie. But he told me that he had seen it and he was pleased with it, so I am not sure what the interviewer was taling about.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't even realise it was out yet. I always look at the paper on Friday morning to see what's coming out. I hadn't seen anything about this movie, so I thought it hadn't come out yet.

Hey, does anybody know what Ray thought of the movie?

Posts: 554 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
per ''A Sound of Thunder''

Have not personally seen the movie, yet... but it's a disaster how it's being treated out there. Theaters all around Chicago have limited its showing (now in second week of release)...to only afternoon showings ONLY, 1pm and 3:30pm, or some such. And the full page quickie review in the Chicago Sun Times lists 'A Sound of Thunder' as the ONLY ONE that is a waste to see. They give it a NR rating...which they explain means 'not reviewed', because it's so bad. And then a terrrrrible word beneath it: 'waster'. Come on...that's advertising poison in a full page movie review section in a paper like Sun Times. THAT'S COMPLETELY UNFAIR.

_

A writer friend of mind saw it in LA last week, the evening showing, and only 4 people in the entire theater he reports. Yow! But he thought Ben Kingsley did an excellent job. And he thought the movie mostly overall entertaining. So there!!

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Once again, one of those things where you have to say...Bradbury deserves better! But does it gotta be reserved for another generation?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nard Kordell,

posted Hide Post
Nard ~ to that: What fate the future of F451 via Durabont?

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
fjp451:
From what I understand, the finished screenplay by Frank Durabont was eventually dismissed. Yikes!

posted Hide Post
Yikes indeed! Nard, what was your source for that Darabont news?

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil, you've read my mind and spoken my words from across the big pond!

I'll add, "Youch!" Have we been burned again?

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will add "Rats!"
Or even "Fie!"
Reminds me of a few decades ago when I kept hoping Orson Welles would get a break!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post