Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Censorship

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Censorship
 Login/Join

posted
I am writing a paper for my English Class and i was wondering if anyone out here could give me some help..The subject is on "Censorship" and this is the rest that it deals with :Censorship is a key theme in F451, perhaps the there for which it is most famous for. In the world of 451, books were burned because they trigger thought and discontent, two things which are unwelcome in this "happiness oriented" society. Exoplore the idea of censorship in our world today- what types are there, where does it occur, for what reasons? Write an informative essay on censorship and how censorship became such a huge theme in F451. Compare and contrast ideas from the book and some trends that you found that occured over the last decade. How is it that this single idea, could transform a society such as it did in F451? Do you see any possibility for that occuring in our society?

If anyone could help me with this PLEASE let me know. Thanks

Posts: 6 | Registered: 19 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The questions, as you've stated them, seem to presume censorship exists. But take a look at the interview with Bradbury at the back of the 50th anniversary edition of F-451. When asked by the interviewer about censorship in America, Bradbury flatly says there is no censorship. I agree and think this contrarian view would make for a far better topic for your paper.

Good luck,

Pete

[This message has been edited by pterran (edited 10-19-2004).]

Posts: 547 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And how such an attitude of non-reading actually evolves in a society (even in 21st C. modern American) is a key part of the question! Pete, you hit it right on the head. Almost as if self-censorship (laziness) is an excuse for placing the blame elsewhere. Too often sound and film bytes become a main course, unfortunately!

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
pterran:

I think Ray Bradbury took the John Adams approach to censorship, that with moral, intelligent people, censorship is unnecessary.

But since 'Fahrenheit' first appeared in 'Playboy', it perhaps was a naive part of Bradbury, young and idealistic, to freely acclimate himself to such a magazine. There once was a community standard, if breached, according to Adams, that took away the right of free speech, and thereby you could say there was censorship. (But then how could you put this up against a native civilization being obliterated as well? That's another conversation entirely.)

I still believe that deep down inside, Bradbury purposely draws a line in the sand, censorship if you say, good judgment, or some moral fortitude, when the books depicted as memorized in the last chapters of 'Fahrenheit 451' are books of intrinsic value, for a multitude of valuable reasons.

Every bad thing, book, plan, song or people, that stayed on far away sidelines and in darkest reaches of life in many years past, now, thru a free society, have a place of near honor and sizable respect.

Who is doing the censorship now?
The phantoms from the netherlands of bad dreams? Yes! Of course! They censor the good and their idea of bad is no longer provocative. They now have the limelight. They are, in many ways, the norm.

All this would rustle the dead body of John Adams to launchings of oratorial splendor. Written today, in the context of this present moral climate, the memorized books at the last chapters of 'Fahrenheit 451' may well prove to be quite different.

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is it the weather or what that the boards acts up once in a while? Seems it's at least not as slow as in the past. I'm certain it was here I had a message before, now no where to be found.

Posts: 116 | Location: Anaheim, CA. | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Hal," as we have named it, has been running slow, and jettisoning a few messages into deep space. It is not censorship--at least, not unless "Hal" has really developed independent thought!

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Resources is plugged again. "Hal" needs to be kicked in the butt.

Posts: 116 | Location: Anaheim, CA. | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I remember correctly, Ray wrote in a foreward or afterword to an edition of F451 about how, over the years, subtle changes had been made to F451, i.e, certain words omitted, phrasing changed. When he was fully aware of it, he was livid, as you can imagine and demanded for the book to be re-issed without the "censorship." Does anyone else recall reading this?

Posts: 294 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This afterword has been discussed here before.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good advice from a literary master.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post