Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Anyone have plans yet for Halloween?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone have plans yet for Halloween?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Get your Smarties here!

Braling II, I used to collect those cards back in my (first) childhood. The challenge of filling the album. The frustration of never being able to fill the album...

I found a lovely website about the cards (which were terminated in 1999) here. It looks like you used to get them in the US, too - back in the 1960s.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Philnic,
When was the last time you bought a tube of Smarties? They're hexagonal now with a cardboard flip-top replacing the plastic tops. No more Scrabble pieces and no more propelling the lids into outer space with a thump of the empty container. I believe they've even removed the flavouring from the orange ones ...

Posts: 396 | Location: Never Never Land, UK | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tootsie Pops! (crunch!)

Last year, we had three carved pumpkins on an ornamental bench outside, with cornstalks, and orange and purple twinkle lights intertwined through it all. Middle son carved the buxom lady you see on truck mudflaps on his pumpkin. My wife bought this illuminated plastic thing called "Marcus the Carcass," which we partially buried in mulch. She brought home a smoke machine, too.

This year, she's already found a recipe for a Halloween kitty-litter cake. With miniature Tootsie Rolls. ~sigh~

Posts: 195 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Phil!
Here our shops carry Brooke Bond "Red Rose" (not tips but pekoe - leaves a bit further down the tea plant) in the boxes of which I believe one will still find little collectible ceramic figurines, though I'm not sure. We only buy that when we run out of the good stuff.

Back to sweeties. Mrs. Braling loves Fry's Turkish Delight (Full of Eastern Promise!).
Of course we all love the British chocs: Aero, Wispa, Galaxy, etc. (For plain chocolate I like the Swiss - Lindt is great.)
If I had to pick a favourite hard candy, though, it would probably be the black currant with the liquorice centre.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I am a tea drinker and I really like anything from Sri Lanka (Ceylon). I have a friend that is from Columbo and has brought back a tea sampler from there with estate grown samples of the most tasty teas. I usually drink PG Tips. I also love it with milk and sugar, as my mother taught me to drink it, though she was from Pennsylvania, but mostly I take it black, quickly brewed, with some sugar, and thus less caffine. I drink it a lot during the day. My wife, and my dentist, are always after my due to the tea stained teeth. It is truly one of the last remaining pleasures at this stage of my life, along with an occasional glass of a good wine.

I can't Pee, can't see,
Can't skrew, or poo,
What can I do?
Have a cup of tea and remember the rest!

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah yes, I like tea, coffee, pipe tobacco and red wine, so my teeth are not as white as they once were...
Most Brits have milk in their tea, putting it in the cup before the tea, which prompted a friend to say most Brits are "prelactarians" which I tought was quite clever!

OK. Back on topic;

Anyone out there really like candy corn?

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tinkerbell:
Philnic,
When was the last time you bought a tube of Smarties? They're hexagonal now with a cardboard flip-top replacing the plastic tops. No more Scrabble pieces and no more propelling the lids into outer space with a thump of the empty container. I believe they've even removed the flavouring from the orange ones ...

philnic collapses to his knees and screams at the sky, "Noooooooooooo!"

I haven't bought Smarties for years. I've seen the hexagonal packets and hoped they were a passing fad. I guess hexagons stack more easiliy in transit.

Actually, I've recently given up chocolate (and cheese) in an attempt to lose some pounds (of personal blubber) and save some pounds (sterling). Both are working, touch wood.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sterling is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil!

May I have your cheese?

(British cheese is the world's best!)

posted Hide Post
Good British cheese, French bread, French wine, and Swiss chocolates are four items I do not think I could ever give up.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kitty litter cake, o yeah I had to google that. here it is, with a lovely picture - eeccchhhh!

http://www.fabulousfoods.com/recipes/dessert/cakes/kittylittercake.html

Posts: 386 | Registered: 31 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
Phil!

May I have your cheese?

(British cheese is the world's best!)

I love a nice Stilton with an apple and a chunk of Cuban bread.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
jkt, what, exactly, is Cuban bread?

I like Stilton with Jacob's Cream Crackers and Port. (Heck, I'll just eat it on its own with a spoon!)

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
JKT, awaiting elucidation regarding Cuban Bread.

(uh-oh, I feel a pun coming on...hmm...Cuban Bread...Ricky Ricardough?)