Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Now What Did Bradbury Mean By That?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Now What Did Bradbury Mean By That?
 Login/Join

posted
This topic is about pulling out some passage from Ray Bradbury's writings, or a sentence here or there, and trying to make sense of it all. Everyone is welcome to contribute, of course. But perhaps Patrick would be so kind sometime to present a few of these questions to Mr. Bradbury and perhaps even get an answer from the master storyteller himself that could be posted here!

So starting things off:
What did Mr. Bradbury mean when he wrote,

"You have to know how to accept rejection and reject acceptance." Ray Bradbury

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, I got one:

When I asked Mr B (by email) about optioning "Dandelion Wine", and he said that he would be asking a "large fee" to option it, what exactly is a "large fee" to Mr B? $10,000? $50,000?

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
TO PHIL'S QUESTION:

ANSWER FROM RAY BRADBURY:

NEVER ACCEPT REJECTION.
FORGET IT AND CONTINUE WORKING.

DON'T ACCEPT ACCEPTANCE BLINDLY. MAKE SURE IT SOUNDS TRUE.

AND FOR DOUG:

FROM RAY BRADBURY:

TELL ME YOUR PLANS. ONLY THEN CAN I DECIDE ON A FEE.

RAY BRADBURY.

TAKE CARE
PATRICK
Cool

Posts: 141 | Registered: 03 September 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Holy smoke!

I didn't really expect Patrick to take this to heart so quickly and I certainly didn't expect an answer so soon. Thanks!

Mr B (Patrick, what have you got yourself into?), my partners and I will be working on penning up a skeletal script outline, a rough synopsis. Perhaps an example screenplay of the first chapter. Be advised, we're poor filmmakers, and cannot put up "Universal-like funds!" We're here for the love (I know that probably won't get us very far)!

At the very least, perhaps we can at least get the screenplay job once "Deep Pockets" does get the option (whoever that may be). An example of our work will tell.

Best to you, and sorry for bothering Mr B!

May Ray Bradbury and Doug Spaulding...

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What a guy! Such response to his readers!
Biplane asked him for me and got a prompt answer
when I wondered about the phrase "they let the cat die" sometime ago.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much, Patrick and Ray!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, I wonder if I should be so bold as to ask Mr. B. if he remembers giving a talk one October in the '70s at San Jose City College; and if he recalls autographing a book or two for an obviously intelligent and strikingly handsome young man...

(you see, I was in line right behind that guy!)

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[Squeak] The sound of window cleaner and paper towel on a monitor screen.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chapter 31, you are sooooo funny. And Braling II I wouldn't push it! When Ray couldn't remember why he said a particular something about what he wrote, how would he remember that? But I know that you are speaking "tongue in cheek" or simply being facetious.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really was there, but yes, just having a giggle. Or to quote the great Jerome Lester Horwitz, "Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk!"

ImageCurlyport.jpg (26 Kb, 14 downloads)

posted Hide Post
Hey, maybe Ray will actually take the time out now and then to answer something if the peanut gallery will quiet down a bit...

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, Buffalo Bob.

posted Hide Post
What time is it?

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dilly Dally resents that remark! Hey, what’s that clown up to now? Watch out there, he’s got the bottle out…!

“Remember, kids, there’s red, yellow and blue balloons painted right on the wrapper.”

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Builds strong bodies twelve ways!"