Notify
Tools
Add Comment
A Visit with Ray ~ 2008FEB04
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
...although I can't stand Merchant-Ivory type movies.

Can't you really? I thought a couple of the Jhabvala ones were excellent - especially The Remains of the Day.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Favourable is a good word.

NTSC. Never Twice the Same Colour?

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
...although I can't stand Merchant-Ivory type movies.

Do the plots of any of them go anywhere? Are "happy endings" (or any conclusion, for that matter) shunned by these folks?

From Wikipedia: "A typical "Merchant-Ivory film" would be a period piece set in the early 20th century, usually in Edwardian England, featuring lavish sets and top British actors portraying genteel characters who suffer from disillusion and tragic entanglements."

I did like a lot of "Remains", too, though.
Mrs. Braling likes these fillums.
Give me Capra, Welles, or Hitchcock.

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
NTSC. Never Twice the Same Colour?

Indeed. As opposed to the French system, SECAM - Somehow Everything Comes Across Monochrome.

And the British system, known as PAL - Perfection At Last.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
Give me Capra, Welles, or Hitchcock.

I agree!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:

Mrs. Braling likes these fillums.

Mrs Braling has good taste.

Posts: 396 | Location: Never Never Land, UK | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Great Wide World Over There
Hail & Farewell
The Meadow

We've narrowed this down to The Great Wide World Over There, but have added the possibility of The Blue Bottle, although I don't know how we'd manage the shouting down of the crumbling buildings.

And just last night I thought of Invisible Boy.

Further, I'd like to use one of the Greentown stories not in Dandelion Wine, as I asked Mr B about using one of the DW stories, and he said he didn't think the Russians would appreciate that.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doug Spaulding,

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Thanks Douglas, those pics are tree-mendous!

Quick question, did you happen to see a small portrait (drawing) of Ray on his desk? It would have been in a small oval silver frame like 5" tall and maybe 4" wide. I drew it for him a few decades ago and I know he has it!
Just curious, thanks

Posts: 86 | Registered: 31 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can't remember, but the place was filled with much wonderful stuff, so I may just have not noticed.

I'm sure it's there - Ray keeps everything!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
I, too, know that my 8 x 10 inch framed photo of a yard full of bright dandelions is somethere as well. Just prior to our moving to Florida my neighbour's yard was over-flowing with dandelions (I had my yard sprayed, he didn't) and I couldn't resist taking the photo with Ray in mind.

He seemed to enjoy the photo as he referenced it in his note when autographing Dandelion Wine for me.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
hopscotch

Posts: 7 | Location: san jose | Registered: 18 December 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
hopscotch! Can you elucidate on that a bit?

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
They're only available as NTSC discs, however, so make sure your DVD player and TV can handle this before spending money.

Tip for your students:
You can override region zoning (free and legally) by tapping in an unlocking code on your remote control. Go to www.videohelp.com, key in the make and model number ofyour playerand up pops your code. Worked on my Region 2-only player.

Posts: 396 | Location: Never Never Land, UK | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tinkerbell:
quote:
They're only available as NTSC discs, however, so make sure your DVD player and TV can handle this before spending money.

Tip for your students:
You can override region zoning (free and legally) by tapping in an unlocking code on your remote control. Go to www.videohelp.com, key in the make and model number ofyour playerand up pops your code. Worked on my Region 2-only player.

Unfortunately, it's not always that simple. There is also the matter of PAL v NTSC. Fortunately, most modern TVs and DVD players on our side of the pond seem to be able to handle anything once you have the secret code. I hear that on the other side of the pond it's not always so easy. Poor things.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
I stand corrected YET AGAIN. This is getting embarrassing. Martin Lewis, our money-saving guru, came up with that one but I'm no techie. PAL still means 'Prolongs Active Life' to me.

Incidentally, I thought The Smile would be a cute story for adaptation. Needs a few 'extras' and Lord knows what the Louvre would charge for loaning out the Mona Lisa.