Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    A Visit with Ray ~ 2008FEB04 (Personal Album)
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Add Comment
A Visit with Ray ~ 2008FEB04
 Login/Join

by Doug Spaulding (created on )Gallery | Comments 
We were invited over to Ray's for a visit this afternoon. A pleasant time was had by all.

jkt was just leaving - isn't it a small world (after all)?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doug Spaulding,

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow! He's even got a Quickdraw McGraw & BabaLouie lamp!

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of the main reasons we had this visit was to talk over a potential film project.

At the Bradbury Festival October last, I spoke with Michael Kelly, the producer, about submitting a short film for the next Festival (November 2008 in Ojai), and Mr B and I discussed possibilities. No firm decision was made and I'd like to canvass the group here to help me think of a story to use.

I'm looking for something short (fifteen pages or less), and relatively easy (cheap) to film. By easy, I mean something without a lot of special effects, scenery changes, and characters.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doug Spaulding,

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:

Suggestions?

Thanks.

The Great Wide World Over There
Hail & Farewell
The Meadow
A Sound of Thunder (just kidding with this one!)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you. I will bear these in mind.

I enjoyed a chuckle at the mention of your dinosaur suggestion, although it does need remade!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
In 1996 when I and my family stopped by to visit with Ray, the table the Emmy on it was bare, that is with the exception of a lamp. I will post that photo soon. It appears, although I am not sure if there is a significance to the fact that Marguerite is no longer there to supervise, that there are more items in the formal sitting room than there were back then.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:

Suggestions?

Thanks.

What runtime, Doug?

Posts: 396 | Location: Never Never Land, UK | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fifteen minutes or less. One page usually equates to about one minute.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
'By the Numbers' - Tink

Posts: 396 | Location: Never Never Land, UK | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, thanks.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Sorry, Doug. I didn't realise 'By the Numbers' had already been filmed. (Ray Bradbury TV Theatre 1992)

Not listed on your site Phil!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tinkerbell:
Not listed on your site Phil!

It is and it isn't. That is to say, it IS listed on this page, but it ISN'T listed on this page.

I don't know why there's a discrepancy there; I must have mis-typed it. Well spotted!

I don't think Doug Spaulding should worry about whether a story has been filmed before. It's inevitable that the best ones have already been done. Of the ones I suggested, only The Meadow has yet to be filmed. One of the others (Great Wide World) was done very nicely on RBT; another one (Hail and Farewell) was done a little weakly on the same show.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I stand corrected, Phil. Thought that was too good a tale to have been missed. Low budget too. Is it available on DVD?

My vision is a British version - Merchant Ivory style - with a Jeremy Irons character in the lead, travelling through rolling English countryside. Not the sort of thing Doug had in mind, I should imagine.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tinkerbell:
My vision is a British version - Merchant Ivory style

I suppose the father figure in the story could be a stiff-upper lip British type, although I can't stand Merchant-Ivory type movies.

You can get all of the Ray Bradbury Theatres on DVD - do a search on Amazon. The boxed set is quite cheap (even cheaper if you buy it from a US supplier, because of the favourable exchange rate). They're only available as NTSC discs, however, so make sure your DVD player and TV can handle this before spending money.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Thanks for your help Phil. You're quite right; the Amazon boxed sets are a snip. Trouble is they're not compatible with my player. However, I notice I can buy a multi-region player for as little as £25, which is less than a bunch of flowers on Valentine's Day.

My boyfriend hates Merchant Ivory movies too - he says they're "girlie"!