Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Carla Laemmle's 100th Birthday Party (Personal Album)

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Add Comment
Carla Laemmle's 100th Birthday Party
 Login/Join

by jkt (created on )Gallery | Comments 
Famous Monsters of Filmland sponsored Carla's birthday party at the Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood, CA.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jkt,

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For those of who who do not know who Carla is, her Uncle Carl founded Universal Pictures. She is the last known living silent film era star...having been in the Phantom of the Opera and the Hunchback of Notre Dame (both with Lon Chaney). Also, she had the first speaking part in a talkie horror movie...being in Dracula with Bela Lugosi.

I keep forgetting that Doug likes to make fun of minor mistakes made in spelling after people are up late and then get up early the next morning to contribute to the board. Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jkt,

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
Notre Dam

Isn't that that large obstruction that keep Paris from flooding? Big Grin

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are actually a few more silent stars still with us, including Lupita Tovar (who later starred in the Spanish DRACULA in 1931) and Miriam Seegar (who co-starred with Richard Dix in 1929's SEVEN KEYS TO BALDPATE with Richard Dix).

I met Miriam at the Memphis Film Festival a few years ago. She'll be 103 in 2010! Lupita's a mere 98 and recently appeared in the excellent PBS documentary CINEMA'S EXILES: FROM HITLER TO HOLLYWOOD. She still looks terrific!

There are also a few of the silent child actors still around, most notably June Havoc and Mickey Rooney.

As some of you know, I interviewed and got to know Fay Wray quite well in the last year of her life. She wanted so much to live to be 100 -- she found the whole prospect rather exciting. I'm so sorry that she didn't make it.

I have a great photo of Carla with my kids at the Larry Edmunds signing (thanks again for the heads up, JKT!). I'll post that soon on my Facebook page.

Terry Pace
pillaroffire@bellsouth.net

"God, here and there, makes madness a calling." -- Ray Bradbury

Terry Pace
pillaroffire@bellsouth.net

Posts: 92 | Location: Muscle Shoals, Alabama | Registered: 30 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post