Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    UCR Eaton Science Fiction Conference. "Chronicling Mars" May 16-18 (Personal Album)
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Add Comment
UCR Eaton Science Fiction Conference. "Chronicling Mars" May 16-18
 Login/Join

by Mr. Dark (created on )Gallery | Comments 
This past weekend, at the Eaton Science Fiction Conference, Several of the RB Board participants were privileged to watch and interact with the illustrious Ray Bradbury. Mr. Bradbury recieved a lifetime achievement award, gave a talk, and did a panel discussion with Frederick Pohl--which was very fun. Also present and participating in the conference were Larry Niven, David Brin, Greg Bear, and Kim Stanley Robinson. Phil Nichols and I were able to present on a panel discussion, also. Several of us were also invited to a small gathering with Mr. Bradbury, Frederich Pohl, and Larry Niven. Very, very good time!

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wonderful pictures, Mr. Dark. Thanks for sharing them!

Posts: 2471 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good times. Good times.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are wonderful photos. Thank you for posting them!
-Patricia

Posts: 86 | Location: Bernalillo, NM USA | Registered: 16 July 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Excellent indeed, Mr D!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PatR: If you send me your email, I'll forward the digital image of you and Ray.

To all: It was great meeting you at the conference. I hope our paths will cross again, and am very glad to have a photo of all of us (or, at least, a lot of us) together with the master.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I made it! I arrived in Riverside just before 2 pm and started the lineup outside the venue shortly after 2, to finally be admitted about an hour later.

It was so inspiring to hear the man in person; I hardly have the words to describe it. I will never forget when pointed at us and said:

"I [i]command[i/] you to do what you love."

I'll try Ray. So God help me.

Definately worth the flight. I'd do it all again.

Posts: 17 | Registered: 12 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Steve Dylag~
Hope you got the opportunity to exchange a word or two with Ray. Sorry didn't get to say Hello to you!

Eric (Mr. Dark!)
If there was so much more leisure time, it would be fascinating to get serious exchanges of discussion about Bradbury's works.

That goes for Phil (philnic) as well.

I look at a list of people that were there where we bumped elbows but didn't know who we were.

Thanks, Ray! for bringing a huge fan base of friends together...world-wide!

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi all,

I just arrived home from California. Congrats to Mr Dark on getting the pictures up there - I'll post mine as I slowly recover over the next couple of days!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome home, Phil. *Union Jacks waving* You've been missed ...

Posts: 396 | Location: Never Never Land, UK | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Steve Dylag,

you should have introduced yourself. PatR did (although I admit to giving her a blank look when she did, until it slowly dawned on me that I had "seen" her both on this message board and on the Harlan Ellison board).

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
If there was so much more leisure time, it would be fascinating to get serious exchanges of discussion about Bradbury's works.

Agreed! Those of us attending the conference proper had a bit of time for doing this, although the conference was not just about RB.

As well as talking to RB, I also got to talk to Fred Pohl, Kim Stanley Robinson and Howard Hendrix. Robinson, to judge from his talk (immediately preceding the RB presentation), is an RB fan. And Hendrix's conference presentation was (in part) about The Martian Chronicles.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tinkerbell:
Welcome home, Phil.

Thanks, tink!

- Phil

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Steve Dylag,

you should have introduced yourself. PatR did (although I admit to giving her a blank look when she did, until it slowly dawned on me that I had "seen" her both on this message board and on the Harlan Ellison board).

At the next conference we should each wear a dandelion in our lapels to identify outselves as forum board members.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I finally got my photos online - www.bradburymedia.co.uk

- Phil