New
Find
Notify
Tools
Add Comment
ComicCon 2008
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
John, yes, as you well know, I am of an age to know of the three gentlemen you refer to (the Moody Blues...I love their Nights in White Satin, especially the extended play version when they will run it) and think that your comparison is excellent. What nice photos of your's and Doug Spaulding's.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
At one of the conventions, the consultants for Atari were Mick Fleetwood (Bluesbreakers/Fleetwood Mac), Eric Clapton (Bluesbreakers/Yardbird/Blindfaith/Cream) and Mike Pinder (Moody Blues).

Is this the one where, when the great Brian Wilson walked in, they literally sat at his feet and were taught?

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Doug,

Did you get a video of the Pied Piper march from the lecture hall to the signing hall?

No, but my memories will last a lifetime.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
quote:
At one of the conventions, the consultants for Atari were Mick Fleetwood (Bluesbreakers/Fleetwood Mac), Eric Clapton (Bluesbreakers/Yardbird/Blindfaith/Cream) and Mike Pinder (Moody Blues).

Is this the one where, when the great Brian Wilson walked in, they literally sat at his feet and were taught?

Doug: Yes, that was the same year.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
A couple of decades ago, late 80s, I used to work the NAMM (musician's convention) for Atari.

JOHN~
Shhesh! Strange. I used to work for IMPACT International, the convention consultant firm that put on all the NAMM conventions. I did all the promotions, designed, and sometimes wrote the stuff and had the program books printed as well. Also helped set up the speaker rooms.

On second thought, twas before you were at NAMM.
I think the last time I ever did anything was a complicated program book around 1986 where IMPACT had an office at 8800 Sunset Boulevard. Twas a long ride between my printer in Anaheim and 8800 West. (Does the name Jay Lurye ring a bell?)

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
quote:
A couple of decades ago, late 80s, I used to work the NAMM (musician's convention) for Atari.

JOHN~
Shhesh! Strange. I used to work for IMPACT International, the convention consultant firm that put on all the NAMM conventions. I did all the promotions, designed, and sometimes wrote the stuff and had the program books printed as well. Also helped set up the speaker rooms.

On second thought, twas before you were at NAMM.
I think the last time I ever did anything was a complicated program book around 1986 where IMPACT had an office at 8800 Sunset Boulevard. Twas a long ride between my printer in Anaheim and 8800 West. (Does the name Jay Lurye ring a bell?)

I was at NAMM the first year Atari was there. They were the first computer company to appear at NAMM. Apple was red-faced and showed up the following year with both barrels loaded. Forgot the year, however. Back in those days we did COMDEX and CES, too.

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi,
Here are a few more photos of Ray and friends from Comic Con that I thought y'all would like.
-Patricia

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22901299@N00/sets/72157606443329815/

Posts: 86 | Location: Bernalillo, NM USA | Registered: 16 July 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good. That first photo of him looks like Mr Magoo.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
Good. That first photo of him looks like Mr Magoo.

Jim Backus?

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
There you go!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doug Spaulding,

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PatR:
Hi,
Here are a few more photos of Ray and friends from Comic Con that I thought y'all would like.
-Patricia

Hey Patricia, good to see you here again - I haven't seen you since Eaton!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice clip from Comic Con but the last ten seconds brilliant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86N1FiM61CI

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
"Famouse Mystery writer Ray Brabury"?

Funny, tho!

Would you say that Disney's prime rodent is the most famouse?

Famouse is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Amazing! I grew up in CA and have friends in the industry, yet I've never been to Con! I would have loved to have gone this year. Seems like I should go now at least to make friends and network.

Free sci-fi mag online at:thelordshen.com

Posts: 178 | Location: Currently Flint, MI | Registered: 28 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did you know that Mr. B just finished a movie script of Dandelion Wine, to be produced in Russia?

Already finished? That's great! We're all waiting for the movie.

Posts: 173 | Location: Russia | Registered: 05 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post