New
Find
Notify
Tools
Add Comment
Green Town
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting the highly fascinating and relevant article about the Ackermansion sale.

Cori

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by dandelion:
Thanks for posting the highly fascinating and relevant article about the Ackermansion sale./QUOTE]

Why didn't someone alert us to Mr Ackerman's plight earlier? We've plenty of English friends who'd have rushed to the rescue ... Too late it seems.

Posts: 396 | Location: Never Never Land, UK | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How very sad.
$200,000? Seems Lucas or Spielberg could've expressed their gratitude with a check they wouldn't even miss.
Depressing article.
That's "...blow us all to ATOMS", too, by the way.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
That's "...blow us all to ATOMS", too, by the way.

You may be right - perhaps the reporter misunderstood or mistyped. Of course, 4E might have meant Adam, you never know.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tinkerbell:
Why didn't someone alert us to Mr Ackerman's plight earlier? We've plenty of English friends who'd have rushed to the rescue ... Too late it seems.

I felt the same way when I heard. Surely 4E has enough fans the world over who might have contributed a few dollars and saved not only the house, but the collection!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, there is something to be said here about having health insurance. We do need a national policy to protect people from serious health issues that can ruin their existance - finacially. Maybe the old story of the grasshpper and the ant also applies here. I know I would have contributed something to keep this collection together if I had known about it at the time. I think pride was also a factor. I know that Ray helped 4E as much as he could to get into the present mini-mansion.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Regarding the sale... The situation is absolutely unbelievable. How is it possible, that in a town filled with incredibly wealthy people in the entertainment business, no one was willing to purchase this one-of-a-kind, comprehensive collection, which was certainly unique in its scope. Heck, people like Spielberg and Lucas, who have more money than they can spend in a lifetime and who made their fortunes in the sci-fi field, weren't even interested? It's a darn shame...

I'm wondering, however, if the whole affair wasn't terribly mis-managed from the very beginning. When it became apparent that the collection would have to be sold, someone with business experience should have been put in charge right off; someone who knew how to approach the right people, and how to drum up a lot of publicity as to the loss of this irreplaceable collection. I'm not blaming Mr Ackerman at all---there were a lot of people who knew about the collection, who could have stepped in and figured things out. I don't think it had to end up like this at all, and it really is a terrible shame and a tragedy...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: theoctobercountry,

Posts: 232 | Location: The Land of Trees and Heroes | Registered: 10 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
Who created the 'Dandelion Wine' wine?
On a brighter note (I'm still upset after hearing about that sale...) To view these photos full-size, just put your mouse over the cog symbol, and then click on "detach image"---that will bring up the photograph, full size, in a new window. By doing this, I was able to see that the bottle of dandelion wine is from Breitenbach Wine (and that Ray signed the bottle! Looks like it's dated Aug '05.).

The company even has a dandelion festival:
Dandelion Festival

Posts: 232 | Location: The Land of Trees and Heroes | Registered: 10 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DS, first, thanks for the photos. It's been said before, but you guys "out there" are a vital link to what's going on with our hero. I wish events like this could be streamed, or broadcast in some way, even as a pay-per-view event.

And, second, thanks for the article. Regarding the fact that Hollywood didn't step up to preserve Mr. Ackerman's collection, my word of the day is:

"Unconscionable."

Posts: 195 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
theoctobercountry's link includes pics of a Dandelion "cookoff". Americans seem to like "cookoffs" (I've never heard of anyone holding a cookoff on this side of the Atlantic). I remember Homer Simpson getting very agitated whe he discovered he was missing the chilli cookoff.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theoctobercountry:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
Who created the 'Dandelion Wine' wine?

Sorry about not responding about the wine earlier. I bought half a case for Ray's 85th birthday and kept a few for myself. When the winery found out who the wine was for, they sent a handful of labels for me to get Ray to sign for them. Which I did.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looking for Doug. I have sent you an email at @gmail.com about two tickets for Friday nights show I can Not use. If you know of anyone let me know you got the info-either through email or oa this site
Thanks
David

David B Smith

Posts: 12 | Location: Utica,MI,USA | Registered: 03 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RBFAN57:
...about two tickets for Friday nights show I can Not use.

I'm afraid I don't - all the RB fans I know hang out here.

Come on and go; Utica's not that far. I know - I was just there last week (actually Sterling Heights).

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
RBFANS57
Just how did you plan on getting 2 tickets out here by Friday?

If I knew for sure I could make it, I'd grab those tickets. Unfortunately, I am going thru topsy turvy stuff right now. Can't figure if topsy or turvy takes place tomorrow.

Doughy Spauldingmeister:
There you go. Two good words. Topsy. Turvy.
No?

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post