Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    88th Birthday Party Photos (Community Album)
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Add Comment
88th Birthday Party Photos
 Login/Join

by jkt (created on )Gallery | Comments 
Here are a few humble photos taken today. I am sure others will be posting better ones in the coming hours.

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wonderful - thanks for posting these in such a timely manner. Actually, I think you posted early because you went home early because I took your seat!

I only went over to the restaurant to give 4E's assistant back his poster which I had just gotten signed for him (he was just finishing his lunch), when Ray saw me and said, "sit down with us". I sat.

Sorry.

A comment on the poster: it was a movie poster of Moby Dick, and when Ray signed the bottom near his name (where it says screenplay by Ray Bradbury & John Huston), he crossed out Huston's name! The gathered crowd roared with laughter.

Sitting at the dining table at which jkt was too much of a gentleman to accept the seat were four authors: a Mr Bradbury, Joe R Lansdale, George Clayton Johnson, and Dennis Etchison.

Moog?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doug Spaulding,

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Photos.

Click on "slideshow".

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
Photos.

Click on "slideshow".

The lady giving Ray the Pop-Up Book is Sylvia. She is the official cake cutter and server and Ray's parties.

Not too sure about the photo of the guy giving Ray the harpoon.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
Not too sure about the photo of the guy giving Ray the harpoon.

To quote Jeff Spiccoli, "hey, I know that dude!"

On another note, may I say that it was a pleasure finally meeting a couple board members today who traversed quite a distance to be here at this Twice Twice Twenty-two event: Mog the Dog's human and Nico!

Sorry to say that I didn't spend more time visiting with them, but please know that I was swept away by the sea of friends and acquaintances there only to occasionally wash up onto their little island.

Since I already have Nico's email address, I would ask that if Mog the Dog would like to remain in touch, to please email me on ForrestJBradbury at gmail dot com - thanks!

A fun time was had by all. Except Nard. (I told him to ride up with patrask!)

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
jkt, what a terrific cake! Although that whale looks like a friendly chap, not something that would haunt Ahab for all his days.

Did anyone say "from hell's heart I stab at thee" when the cake was cut?

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wonderful photos, John and Doug...thanks for posting them. With my "retro" disposable camera (which had a few people shaking their heads in disbelief, as someone said to me, "Do they still make those things?"), any photo posting by me was not going to be possible! John, thanks for taking a picture of Ray and me.

It was nice seeing both of you yesterday, even for a short period, as I am now back in Chicago. Nonetheless, it was a wonderful afternoon, well worth the trip.

Posts: 2471 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug:

You are right, where was Nard? Nard, where were you? I knew somethone was missing from the festivities.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
Photos.

Click on "slideshow".

Thanks for capturing my presentation to Ray. Now thanks to You and Mogthedog I have a real momento of the monento!

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Did anyone say "from hell's heart I stab at thee" when the cake was cut?

No. I told him he should say it, but I guess he thought better of it.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Doug, JKT and others, many thanks for the great photos. I just called Ray and he said that he had a wonderful time and had signed about five hundred books. I was kidding him about seeing more photos of him with red lipstick on his cheek and he chuckled about that. I think that he really enjoys the adoration given him.

One time I called him from the office and put the phone on Speakerphone so that the others in the office could hear him and the comment was that they were surprised that Ray answers his own phone. He always has, except for when Marquerite was with us and I was able to visit with her a bit.

And MogTheDog, thank you so much for allowing your handler and her friend to attend as well. Did we get a full report on the deliciousness of the watermelon?

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice meeting you fellas.

I had no idea that my camera would eat through 3 sets of batteries, taking so many pictures! Something must be amiss.

Anyway, I'll put up a few choice ones; including one great one with Ray holding the harpoon.

Email: ordinis@gmail.com

Posts: 344 | Location: Redmond, Washington USA | Registered: 18 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by biplane1:

And MogTheDog, thank you so much for allowing your handler and her friend to attend as well. Did we get a full report on the deliciousness of the watermelon?

Did you see this?

We did make a couple extra "rest stops" on the way down to Glendale. Let's just say that watermelon is to diuretic as prune dried plum is to laxative.

OK. That now concludes my full report.

MTD

"I was not born, but instead created. I’m not alive, and yet I exist. I will never die, but some day I will be forgotten, as was the light by which I came into this world." MTD

Posts: 168 | Location: Out of the Attic | Registered: 18 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MogtheDog:
...prune dried plum...

Aha!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
MTD, I now stand fully informed as to the final results, visually as well as taste-wise as to the conclusion of the watermelon exercise. I now look forward to the new pumpkin escapade.

I am so sorry, and, of course, there was nothing I could do about it from here in southern Florida, as to the necessary stops of your human handler and her daughter for elimination purposes.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post