New
Find
Notify
Tools
Add Comment
451 Ring
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
John, may we ask how you came about the ring and what its cost might be and, very importantly, could others obtain one as well?

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Exact numbers might be hard to come by but I’ll give you some numbers. The ring is just shy of 1.5 ounces troy. I traded my family jeweler two 1 ounce troy gold ingots. Both are 14K which means they are 7/12th pure gold. These gold ingots were part of my cache, which was purchased when America was on the gold standard. So the landed cost to me was $50.00.

The ring itself was machined gold, not cast, and was done in the 70s. I don’t think anybody even machines gold jewelry today. With the metal being machined instead of cast means that there are less impurities and air pockets as opposed to being cast.

The upshot is that this specific ring would cost about $5,000 at full retail. (I hang my head in shame.)

As to if anybody can get one the answer is yes. Any reputable jeweler (and there are a few) will sell a signet ring and then engrave whatever you want on it. It will be lighter and possibly hollow. (There are roughly 28 grams to the ounce.) My guess is a smaller more sensible one could be had for under $1,000.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ingot is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like that jkt has a family jeweler, and a cache of ingots. I imagine his ancestors as prospectors :-)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
I like that jkt has a family jeweler, and a cache of ingots. I imagine his ancestors as prospectors :-)

I had a great aunt named Inga.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:

I had a great aunt named Inga.

We call my Volvo Inga.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
We call my Volvo Inga.

Inga Montag?

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post